What type of classes are permitted?

If I’m reading this right, you are getting denied honorariums not the ability to teach the class.

I can teach classes all day on “how to beat noobs with a blue/black control graveyard MTG deck” and I would fully expect to not get approved for honorarium.
I’d just add the class to the calendar anyway and not get $50 for it.

No even ones that aren’t for an honorarium are being rejected because of space and privacy and stuff.

This was about a non-honorarium class.

Based on the comments here we still don’t know the real reason, only implied reasons.

I just want some clarity, and not have over-restrictive rules be established on shaky reasoning.

I mostly agree in that I want a clear and mostly specific policy.

1 Like

Does anyone have specific examples of things that were rejected that they feel shouldn’t have been? I’m not talking about hearsay or gossip, give me specifics. If things are going off the rails I want to know it and I’ll look into it. Feel free to private message if you prefer that.

Generally speaking there are more eyes on requests now than ever before and we’re getting more requests than ever before but we still have the same resources like classrooms and committee areas. This naturally will make it more difficult to get something through because it’s competing with more stuff. For example there are six events/classes starting at 7:00 PM next Wednesday. Things are not the same now as they once were.

2 Likes

The one that started all of this discussion was Patrick’s Amazon class.

Right, and then this thread got posted: [RESOLVED] Event Calendar Issues

which incorrectly assumed it was a rejected class (not his fault really, just confusing states). One minute later, this thread is created and low and behold, it’s an epidemic!

I agree some guidelines need to be sorted etc., but IMO I don’t think the situation is anywhere near as bad as this thread makes it seem.

1 Like

I’m not saying it is or was an epidemic just a bit confusing as I want to start teaching classes. I said I just wanted to some examples of what is and is not permitted. There was a lot more discussion going on than just one case. However, as I stated above, I wanted this thread to be general and not specific to any case and I threw some potental class titles out there to see if anyone cares. I’m more interested in knowing if there is a limit and if so what it is. Thank you @SewingStuff for replying to my original questions.

Sadly, it is the only option left to me. However, all of the material from my classes is on the wiki, and audio recordings of several are available as well. Not the same as being there, but still get the information if you want it.

1 Like

Not necessarily, he mentions that classes he submitted in September showed the same ‘problem’ and never showed up on the calendar. That sounds like someone rejected them.

We weren’t even at that point in the conversation when this thread was created and mentioned multiple rejections. I can’t view honorarium rejections, so I don’t know if he’s ever actually had any rejected.

Have you ever had a class rejected Walter?

1 Like

No, but I have only submitted one (the three loaded on this calendar system were approved under the old system and transferred) class under the new system… And I canceled that class after I was told the Board had arranged a Mouser photo shoot in Electronics for the same time I was on the calendar for that class…

The above listed issues are only one of the reasons I am no longer going to teach any classes, at least at this point.

I don’t know if Kee had any rejected, but having some submitted in September that showed up as “Registration is Closed” and never actually show in the Calendar would indicate a rejection, bug, or operator error.

Nothing against Kee, but as a software guy I lean towards the last :slight_smile: It’s clear we have some training issues or something similar to overcome.

I hate to see you stop teaching, but I personally don’t think the topic of this thread is a valid reason. I have no idea what your other reasons are, but I can’t “voluntell” you to teach in any event :slight_smile:

For my part, I’m not saying that this is any kind of epidemic, but it seems to have been a situation where we discussed the need for specific new rules for classes. And the next step was to grant rejection power before those rules were established.

Like, we don’t need to get all het up about it, but it needs to be addressed in a clear and positive way. Leaving things hanging for people to ‘work it out’ in private, not making the standards and reasoning any clearer is not productive for many of us.

Often things get worked out behind closed doors – that is the nature of people – but this is a topic that affects a large portion of the membership and touches every interest group within DMS.

Again, for just me, I would be totally satisfied with someone saying “Clearly this needs more discussion, so lets hold off on rejecting non-honorarium classes until we can do that.” – especially since no one can come up with a base rationale besides ‘not makery enough’

Perhaps a higher standard should be applied to prime-time class scheduling. But we need to discuss it, not just implement it in an opaque way. At this point I can’t even tell who wants to limit what, and more importantly why.

3 Likes

There have been 33 events/classes rejected. Most are either test events or the same class posted 3 or more times. Of these I would, in my own opinion say 5 were valid classes but missing some details. There have been a couple of misunderstandings and they got sorted out.

There are 210 approved classes, 4 are in the pending queue, hardly a conspiracy!

9 Likes

Like I said in the other thread … thanks for your input … it has helped alot

It’s my understanding SIG meetings fall under the events umbrella and are not considered classes and not eligible for honorarium.

I had the same problem, but seems to be bug when copying a class or event that has already taken place. @AlexRhodes was looking into it. When I copied classes/events that hadn’t taken place, they went into the system just fine.

True. SIG events aren’t true classes - that doesn’t mean learning occurs.

@Photomancer I agree, I usually have a skills portion planned that wouldn’t stand alone as a class really, but does offer an educational component. I was inspired to do that after talking to @kyrithia about the way she runs the fiber arts sessions incorporating 101 stuff for new people with continuing education for others with just a work session for folks to work on their projects.

3 Likes