What thickness plywood can be cut?

What thickness plywood can I cut on the laser sour? I need to cut plywood circles that are 3/4 an inch thick.

Would have to use CNC router to cut that. You wouldn’t want to try more than 1/4 inch on the laser, it ends up just setting it on fire

2 Likes

Ok thanks I’ll have to look for a cnc class I have 60 circles I have to cut for a girl scout project for my daughters troop.

Adding to what @Brandon_Green says, even if you could cut it on the laser, you wouldn’t want to. Since the laser beam is conical the cut isn’t a perfect vertical slot. It becomes more noticeable as the thickness of the material is increased.

1 Like

I’ve tried it and agree with previous posts. It will cut through but ends up a charred mess. Instead I used the laser to mark the shape and used a jigsaw which worked well. But I wouldn’t want to do it 60 times.

You could always laservcut 1/4" version to use as template to cut the thicker version with a router.

2 Likes

You can always use the circle jig on the bandsaw.

How big a circles are we talking?
And how important are the exact dimensions?
Hole saws do a pretty good job, too…

1 Like

Use the swing arm router jig.

Faster than the laser
Less setup than the cnc
Cleaner cuts vs a bandsaw or any other saw.

1 Like

I can help you cut it on the CNC router if you’d like. I’ll be up there tonight (Thursday) to test people on the Multicam. If you have the wood, feel free to bring it. It’s possible we can crank out most or all of them depending on size etc.

3 Likes

What I am needing cut is 10 1/4 in across with a 3 1/2 hole in the center. I have a template that was given to me.

Having cut hundreds of “duplicates” over the years, the best option, as John recommended is router - it will give you the cleanest finish cut. If the template in your picture is clean enough (edges), then use it. Otherwise, cut one out of MDF, at least 1/2" thick. (Why? Because MDF will give you a very smooth surface for your router bearing bit to ride on).

1. Rough cut all the blanks first - jigsaw will probably be the fastest. Try to keep cut close enough to your lines that you don’t have to remove more than 1/16" on your final router pass (closer to line, less risk of tear out).
  2. If screw holes will be ok on your finished pieces, 2 screws should be more than enough. If it is an issue, use double sided tape - maybe 4, 1" strips - you’ll have to experiment.
  3. Use a straight cut, carbide router bit on the Incra table - (buy one, it will be worth it - like this, with follow bearing on top - http://www.woodcraft.com/product/24A73/whiteside-2407-12-flushtrim-two-flute-router-bit-12-sh-12-d-x-1.aspx)

If you use CNC router - you wont’ have to make two cuts (rough with jigsaw, finish with router) but you’ll have to contend with cleaning up tabs… if you go that way, you’ll still be able to use a finish router bit…

2 Likes

From the size, it sounds like 2 4’x8’ sheets would cover it. Arranging the items 8x4 for 32 per sheet comes out to 64 total cut (so a few extras). A quick design in VCarve makes it look about 45 minutes per sheet just using a normal 3/8" endmill. Numbers might change a little with compression bit (and result would be cleaner), but overall the time should be about the same.

6 Likes

You can probably run the 0.375 waaaay faster if I had to guess. 45 seems a bit long

True, our feeds and speed in the toolbin are more conservative than William F. Buckley, Jr. :laughing:

3 Likes