What is Motorsports?

Dallas Makerspace Motorsports

Our goal is to educate and promote automotive knowledge and car culture, by facilitating both a safe place to work on vehicles and organizing projects, events, and classes related to vehicles.

The Car

We have a 1994 Nissan 240SX, tastefully modded from stock. It has a full rollcage, harness and safety systems required by most tracks.

The Education

We learn a lot during DMS Motorsports events, cars have a funny way of breaking in ways you don’t expect, so learning how to diagnose systems is a major benefit. We also teach classes on alignment and suspension. We experiment with brakes, sway bars, air-fuel mixtures and more. We’re hoping to have more classes than ever in 2018

The Races

We put all of our training and knowledge to the test at various race events throughout the year. The core race being “24 Hours of Lemons” in November. It’s hosted at the MSR Houston track. You can watch an awesome 360 video of the track taken from our car.

Get Involved

DMS Motorsports is always looking for more people of all skills, our large goals this year are something like:

• Car maintenance (oil pan, sway bar, alignment)
  • Car design (we want a fancy new design for the new year)
  • Drivers (new and experienced)
  • Attend more races

If you’re even slightly interested or you’d like to get to it and start making stuff, we meet almost every Thursday at 7PM. Either by the car lift or inside one of the classrooms. We’re going to be formalizing our meetings soon. You can also talk to any of our members you see around the space!

Thanks!

8 Likes

Well my truck is about to undergo some front end work probably tomorrow maybe sunday if anyone is interested in learning that i would be glad to teach them as i go… i will be diagnosing a wobble in the front end and repairing it the diagnoses will already be done by the time i get to the space but i would be glad to teach anyone that inquires how i did it.

1 Like

I was wrong I will not be there to work on my truck tonight but I’m willing to help people with their vehicles any time with diagnosis or repair (within reason) so just let me know if anyone is interested

Luke, I’ve been doing Lemons since the Feb 09 race at Houston. We run the TARP Racing Hatsune Miku e36. Give me a shout if you guys ever need any help. I’ve got a JD2 bender at home with dies for 1.5 and 1.75 tube and I’ve put an air over hydraulic setup on it so that it’s not so arduous to bend tube for a new cage :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Regarding the racecar, I’ve unbroken just about everything in my personal S13, which is very similar to the S14 mechanically. We have another spot for working on the thing?

Everybody can work on the thing, we’re working on the thing this Thursday about 7PM

I have work on Thursdays, curses!

1 Like

I need to double check, but I think I may have a set of NIB S14 ARP head studs in the garage that were sent to me by accident for another engine. I couldn’t find anybody to sell them to on eBay when that happened – if those are the right ones, Luke you guys are welcome to them for your engine. Sure makes it easy when you blow a head gasket.

2 Likes

DD is a 97 S52 M3 sedan, the e36’s are wonderful cars for the most part