What is good to bring to the HAAS Class on May 20 2018 at 12:30

Given i have decent idea of Fusion 360 on Sunday. What materials would be good for learning. I am looking at block of 6 in by 6 in aluminum and I am wondering what i should use for cutting oil… Perhaps tap magic? https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00262303

You don’t need any metal or cutting oil for that class. It is sections 1 and 2 of the training.

The HAAS has self-contained cutting fluid.

1 Like

Shop Mom is correct. The HAAS class 1 & 2 prepare you for doing the domino in class 3. after that, it is up to you to design and CAM your personal project which is done under supervision. Not until you can show full competence is anyone signed off. Some have to do 2 projects maybe three to get to that point. keep in mind, this is an industrial machine not a toy. It can do simple jobs but in itself is more complicated.

People do complain that it is a slow process. But, unlike other tools which are handed over after a simple “here’s how it works” class - the HAAS is not broken every week as with other tools. I’m happy to hear that Laser is now supervising beginners during their office hours. Good on them! That should make long term maintenance much better. they of course have plenty of volunteers. MultiCam could learn from that. HAAS has just little ol’ me, so if things are a bit slow it’s 'cause life gets in the way.

The answer to your original question - just bring yourself and a way to take notes if needed. cheers!

2 Likes

In addition if you tap or drill aluminum traditionally, normal tap magic is not what you want to use. They make one specific for aluminum. http://www.tapmagic.com/product/2/tap-magic-aluminum

Just something worth a mention.

3 Likes

I am more than desire some to learn the haas as the real world experience has been desired by multiple employers. When i have presented my 3d prints at interviews, I found few employer impressed. I have 3d printed my own lithophane business cards and still my 3d prints had little effect. I leave sometimes for weeks for jobs that most of the time run 2nd shift at night. Coworkers can be uncivil and there is little supervision from HR or anyone with a level head in management. Worse i have left my windows account on the 3d printer computers open for people in the 3d printing room and my presets are never usable on the slicer. I am retro fitting my 3d printer at home so i can now do the normal 19 hour to 25 hour prints. I am committed to the process. I have slept in my car for the previous 3d prints and i hope this shows some level of dedication. I am doing this to put more real world experience on my resume. The real world experience here compliments my education so as to serve future employers. All honest and respectful discipline will only help me become wiser, serve employers, and American customers better. I look forward to the tutelage.

real world experience is what you can expect from this. I firmly believe that anyone who completes it would be able to work as an operator with a little practice.
3D work is in my experience but is outside the scope of the class. So if your interest is in that direction, I’d be happy to talk to you about it offline.