We're officially now a Coding DoJo

What is a Coding Dojo

The goal of a dojo is to JuMPSTART YOUR NEW CAREER and help one to become a Software Developer in 14 Weeks./

read more at https://www.codingdojo.com/onsite-boot-camp

6 Likes

Does that mean the instruction happen at DMS or some other place?

Sorry but unlike some groups that just want to meet at a bar we as a committee cannot support hosting our programs outside of the makerspace.

Besides with the expansion there is going to be a dedicated classroom with computers available for all. It’s going to be best that we fill that classroom with things like the coding dojo, pearson vue prep courses. devops training, pc/mobile repair classes, ai programing, and the like.

TLDR; This takes place only at the dallas makerspace and is a benefit to members, non members may be able to attend but would need to be strongly encouraged to donate to the committee on attendance.

2 Likes

Is this going to lead to dozens, or hundreds of honorariums going out to job train people? I fully support us preparing people for a new career, I don’t know that I support member dollars being spent for instructors for this at a high rate.

2 Likes

I think it may be a great thing … it is all about teaching kids to code.
We don’t have many kid classes here yet. It may be challenging.
The parents generally have to be within sight. We may be able to contain them in a room.
(the parents, haha)

Did you get board approval to become a Coding DoJo as it requires signing a contract?

These statements do not seem to align.

2 Likes

From the About page:

The CoderDojo movement believes that an understanding of programming languages is increasingly important in the modern world, that it’s both better and easier to learn these skills early, and that nobody should be denied the opportunity to do so.
To that end, we’ve built a global network of free, volunteer-led, community-based programming clubs for young people. Anyone aged seven to seventeen can visit a Dojo where they can learn to code, build a website, create an app or a game, and explore technology in an informal, creative, and social environment.

Thanks.
That was my understanding.

When I look at the linked codingdojo page, it said there was tuition involved to join the 14 week program(& putting in 70-80 hour/week was the suggested required time to put be put in).

I see now that DMS Coderdojo has a different activity.

I thought that DMS would become a teaching site for the 14 week program.

1 Like

What about the old people that want to learn to code for free! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

as it requires signing a contract?

No contract was required. Its an affiliate program on the same level as the Pearson Vue, CodeHS, FreeCodeCamp, and MLH programs.

All ages are welcome. I do also encourage one to take the freecodecamp.com lessons or hour of code to get the basics before moving up to the coding dojo.

but to be clear, the bulk of the programs that I’ve setup with VCC and DMS is open to all members that wish to attend, no matter age, walk of life, or anything else. If one has a passion to learn then you will not be turned away.

1 Like

Is this going to lead to dozens, or hundreds of honorariums going out to job train people? I fully support us preparing people for a new career, I don’t know that I support member dollars being spent for instructors for this at a high rate.

I personally host these classes and 100% of the honorarium classes I host/teach goes back to committees at the makerspace. Any member may teach these classes as well since the course work is provided and standardized but they do have to follow the same example of the honorarium going to committees at the space or providing it free to the membership.

After all I do not teach to make money, I teach to educate the community and that’s what the makerspace is here for, to educate her members.

3 Likes

I thought that DMS would become a teaching site for the 14 week program.

That’s been one of our end goals for VCC since we before the expansion and with the expansion the computer lab would be available for just such a thing.

1 Like

That’s half the answer on where the money is going, and I am happy to hear the money would go to the committee, but the second half I ask again is this going to lead to dozens or hundreds of classes to job train people? I don’t want to see VCC hijack tens of thousands of member dollars to job train people.

3 posts were split to a new topic: VCC Partnerships Sidebar

@indytruks138 I hear the concern and would like to ask the same of someone that does so much in woodshop. Would woodshop “hijack” tens of thousands of member dollars to job train people in woodworking? How about automotive, metalshop, machine shop? these are all actual industry jobs that one typically goes to get a degree and certifications in before they can operate in those industries.

Now the bigger concern obviously heard here is “is VCC going to take money away from DMS’s bigger committees” or overcrowd classrooms of which that’s a negative. One we have our own committee area to teach and a upcoming computer lab for our useage. Two, most members come to the space to use the wood working, metalshop, laser, and automotive and would continue to do so. The individuals and members that come to the space to learn programming and IT may stick around VCC long enough to take the class but will stay members of the space because of woodworking, laser and automotive.

Thus one should look upon this as an opportunity not a threat just like the string of candy leading up to the carrot with all the rest of the space’s offerings being the stick.

A post was merged into an existing topic: VCC Partnerships Sidebar

2 posts were split to a new topic: What does it mean to be a maker

I’m very down to get my 8yr old into a high paying new career.

4 Likes

What, his child labor job isn’t paying enough?

1 Like