Welding horizontal metal bandsaw blades

Is it possible to use the machine shop welder to do this?

1 Like

There is a spot welder but the last person to service it noted it seemed to underperform. I recall there possibly being another blade welder around specifically for band saw blades but don’t know much about the unit.

If you want to give it a go feel free to, use some scrap and make several test cuts.

1 Like

There is a blade welder on the Band saw in the machine shop. However they can be difficult to get right.

1 Like

I don’t think the welder in Machine Shop can do a blade that wide. Also, very difficult to use.

In the past there was some discussions of getting dedicated blade welder that will properly align and do the eld - IIRC about $1,200. It could be used for making or fixing blades for all the bandsaws. Savings would be in fixing broken blades or buying material in bulk.

Not sure how much use that would be for Machine Shop, our blades don’t often break, they are just abused and teeth ruined. This happens to some degree in Metal Shop - people push down on the saw thinking it’ll cut faster or try to cut hardened alloys. Once the teeth are gone, blade is gone.

I think the current blade is 1/2”

1/2" is correct. we had purchased some 3/4" blade in a coil last year or so but it was too wide for the welder on the bandsaw.

D & R Saw (just down the highway) is where Woodshop gets a lot of it’s bandsaw blades done. Is there anything unusual about the horizontal band saw blades?

As cheap as they are, it doesnt seem worth it in my mind. Last one I ordered from starret was $58.13 with shipping!