Weaving loom use

does anyone know who to contact about the weaving loom in Creative Arts. Really interested but can’t seem to find the right person. Material has been woven on the loom and has been there for about 6 to 8 weeks. would appreciate help. Thanks

2 Likes

That would be me. :slight_smile: The current project is about to be woven off (student project, one of several on the shared warp). I’m waiting to hear back from the person who’s turn it is. Then that warp is off. The delay has been partly my fault as I’ve been seriously busy being deep in renfair season and haven’t been following up to keep it moving. Mea culpa. If I don’t hear from them in a reasonable period, I may offer it to someone else to finish (twill scarf) but will cross that bridge later.

I’m planning on doing an overshot potholder class next (we do shared warps with classes). Things will get back on track and flowing once the dust settles from the renfair where I have a jewelry shop (mid/late June before I’ll be teaching again). The loom takes quite a bit of personal time (6-10 hours) to prep it for a class, which I can’t do for a few more weeks. But that’s fine since that last student needs to finish theirs.

Soooo…that being said, I would LOOOVE it if folks want to use it for personal projects. We’ve worked out a process. The main thing is you need to coordinate with me so it doesn’t interfere with a class. Plenty of flexibility, just need to coordinate.

Do you know how to warp it on your own or are you more trying to find out when next class is happening? I’m not committed on when that class will be, but if you had a project in mind, we can coordinate. What do you have in mind?

I’m also open to mentoring someone one-on-one (or few) to learn to warp it if our schedules can be worked out. Kinda like training wheels for the first project, a little hand-holding but you do the work. This is likely a multi-session endeavor time-wise.

Also, in general, we have fiber happenings on tuesdays. Right now it’s FiberFrolics (hangout personal project events) because all the teachers have life crap happening, but it’ll get back to a mix of classes and frolics this summer once I can wrangle anything but pliers again, get back to Regularly Scheduled Life, ya know :slight_smile:

I say all this to let you know it’s a good time to connect with other fibery folks (I personally haven’t even been able to make those lately, but will soon).

If you do Facebook, we also have an active group where we communicate, reminders, help, etc. It’s “Dallas Makerspace Fiberholics”

Also in general, if you’re into fibery goodness (or want to be), I’m the person that wrangles the fiberarts SIG, so if you have questions, lemme know. We can also help you with any of the other equipment in the fiber closet, or if you want to learn.

[edit to add]
We also have a rigid heddle loom in the top shelf of the fiber cabinet if you know how to use that. If you wanna to take it for a spin, lemme know (there’s just a few quick guidelines to go over).

4 Likes

Here’s a pic of cover of next upcoming project, Overshot Potholders. It uses two shuttles, with sorta two different interlinked layers (plain weave ground, then pattern layer).

604B7828-E227-4A32-B43A-5C0E924427AC

2 Likes

Annnnd…if a few folks really dig the overshot potholders and want to tackle something a little more involved, this pattern is a possibility:
2DBDCCBD-C73D-4B0D-A49E-50B802BD33AB

3 Likes

thank you for the information. Please keep me in the loop when you get back to a normal schedule.

1 Like

I’ll post here on talk since all my classes have been on hiatus while I’m dealing with the renfair, a heads up (especially wire since those fill quickly have a firm size limit, but will do a fiber update too) so folks that are interested know to watch the calendar for them

@classielassie
20 characters…