Water leaking in the wood shop

Thanks for the head’s up, and for handling the overflow… Please open a ticket for it to make sure that the issue gets fixed. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

No Problem.

I went ahead and mopped up all the water and went over the ground with some shop towels.

Kent

5 Likes

Tried to login to make a ticket. Won’t let me.

You need an active directory login to use the ticket system. Here are some instructions on how to create it, if you haven’t already.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/How_to_Enable_Your_Active_Directory_Login

If you already have an AD account and just can’t remember your password, you can also create a ticket by sending an email (from the same email account as your WHCMS/AD account) to [email protected]

@bscharff @LisaSelk
I think it might be helpful to create a class for this subject. Would be a great use of that new video technology to create an online version of this class that we can send all new members to. Would offer, but I still find the ticketing system somewhat confusing, so would consider myself a student for the first class.

3 Likes

Thanks. That did it. I didn’t read the instructions all the way through. (didn’t do the password part)

4 Likes

This may help…

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/who-do-i-contact-for/5894?u=lisaselk

The AC filters keep freezing and clogging in the woodshop most likely, causing condensation to start dripping down, may have to leave the AC off in there. Requires going up the ladder on end of building to inspect roof top unit.

Why don’t the coils of these A/C units not have drainage pvc going outside the building? I thought that’s how A/C units work in houses.

Condensation does drain “properly” (currently goes to roof gutter drains, but ignore that for now), but when it freezes up, its falls where gravity takes the melted ice, which is straight down from where it was pulling air.

2 Likes

The problem is this. It humid outside, there are drains(also is likely an emergency drain) but they can become clogged with all sorts of biological experiments. Also once you begin to clog the air filter the air slows & can not remove the heat. This will cause freezing. Also with the slowing down of the air the moisture is taken more out of the air. Another thing to take into account is if the units are not level they will not drain as well.

It doesn’t help that people keep leaving the garage doors open, letting humid air into the building.

5 Likes

Also if the coil starts freezing, it is extremely difficult to get un-thawed short of turning it off & fixing the reason it’s freezing in the first place. This is a whole can of worms. Once your coil freezes also you start having liquid refrigerant going back to the compressor potentially washing the oil out.

1 Like

Wow, I think we need HVAC classs, using our A/C units as a study case.

Here are some photos of what the freezing looks like on the unit in question.

Tim’s right about the drainage inside the building. It was so full of mildew etc. that the units are PVC piped to drain straight off the roof for now. When we had water coming out of the ceiling all over the place, this was the problem.

3 Likes

Could be lack of airflow causing the freeze up. Looks like a giant ice cube.

Yes, dirty filters resulting in low air flow are the number one cause. (At least for us)

1 Like

It’s almost certainly this. The parts of the filters that’s aren’t “Ice White” are very “MDF Brown”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m hoping that the additional dust collector helps in keeping the filters cleaner, longer. Only time will tell. That ice is going to take some time to thaw (144 BTUS per lb) for those that don’t know that’s the latent heat of fusion. It takes 1 btu to raise 1 lb of water 1 degree Fahrenheit. In the same respect that same 1 lb will take 970 BTUS to convert to steam.

1 Like

Important to note that just last week one of the rooftop pvc drain pipes got clogged, causing water to leak onto the drop ceiling, this is the unit over the ryobi shelves.

this calls for one of these but small enough to fit in the drain pipes…