Volunteer Opportunity: Who wants to make wooden lawn games for the picnic

ISSUE or REQUEST:

Need one or more people to step up take charge and make oversized lawn games for the picnic. Wood would be purchased for you. Or possibly you have one that you would be willing to loan for the party. @PearceDunlap

Affected Tool or Resource:

Human efforts, time and love.

Committee, Group or Volunteer who usually handles this type of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please tag using the @ symbol. A list of current groups that can be “mentioned” is maintained at this LINK.):
@Team_Woodshop
@Team_PR

Details of ISSUE or REQUEST (Please be as specific as possible):
Cornhole, Jenga, Connect Four, or Kerplunk
Looking for different ways to get people to interact and mingle. If someone has the time to give to construct this it would be amazeballs. @AlexRhodes has the CNC file for corn hole if you want it. Everything else is pretty straightforward.

PLEASE REMEMBER DALLAS MAKERSPACE IS AN ALL VOLUNTARY RUN COMMUNITY.
Our volunteers will handle the reported issues as quickly as possible; however, there is no guaranteed time frame for resolution - due to the voluntary nature of how things work around here.

Please consider volunteering to help maintain some of our resources to help keep things running as smooth as possible here! Thanks!

:bulb: **If you are reporting or resolving an equipment issue, please also update the [tool status board](https://dallasmakerspace.org/cgi-bin/toolstatus.cgi) appropriately.**
:warning: **NOTE**: This category is **NOT** for discussion threads. Any "discussion" will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate "discussion thread".

Can we make lawn darts? Lol

7 Likes

That’s what I came here to say!

4 Likes

I’ll be there Monday evening 5/15. After I take my CNC test I’d be glad to use the chop, er, miter saw to hack out some Jenga pieces, if that still needs doing by then.

3 Likes

What a neat idea!!

I moved this to the Volunteer Opportunities category for better visibility.

I wonder if the item(s) might be able to be included in the silent auction at the end of the evening? That way it/they would have a new home afterward ~ instead of being disassembled and disposed of like what usually happens to big stuff that we can’t store…

5 Likes

Anyone want to assembly line a couple of MegaJenga kits with me?

1 Like

I may have spare time this weekend if you’re good?

1 Like

Not a bad idea! Play it to win it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m all for lawn darts. Had a set as a kid. Survived.

5 Likes

What would be cool for the Jenga set is if the base was big enough to store all the pieces. I don’t have time to shop for wood today FYI but depending on the time I could go with someone on Saturday (I have family in town starting tomorrow so it’s not easy right now).

This is what I found for Jenga:

3/4″ plywood 18″x18″
6 – 2″x4″ x 8′ pine boards to make 54, 10 1/2″ pieces
1 – 2″x” x 6′ pine board to make the sides for 18″x18″ plywood base
Cost: The 2x4s cost under $19 and plywood piece would be around $2

Sandpaper (120 to 180 grit)
Cost: $4 worth of sandpaper for this project

Threaded Feet for base
Cost: About $3 for a pack of 4 from local hardware store

15 Kreg Screws
Cost: Smallest box you can buy is 100-count for around $4

1 Like

$$$Ummmmm…you guys…someone needs to start selling them ASAP$$$
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=jenga
Wow. Just wow.

2 Likes

My brother in Ohio makes Yard Yahtzee game pieces and sells them at various outdoor sales events. Simple to make. The dice are made from 4x4" wood, the dots are partially drilled holes and painted black. He printed out a score sheet that is laminated, and throws in some erasable pencils for scoring. The plastic can with a lid he buys from the local Walmart Deli for $1 a piece, they used to have frosting in them. The labels on the plastic can are made from his printer. He sells them for $35 a set as shown in the picture. Oh, did you know that the opposites sides of dice will always add up to the number 7?

6 Likes

You can borrow my Jenga set but it sounds like we are going to make them.

We gave our giant connect 4 away in California. So that’s out. It was also more of a pain to deal with than anything.

1 Like

https://www.zazzle.com/lawn_darts_survivor_t_shirt-235318629474681918

How about a giant slingshot for water balloons?

No watermelons… https://youtu.be/8cfeTZNcA3g

1 Like

If you are last one to lose at giant jenga, or giant connect-4, or giant anything, you have to keep the game until next year as loser punishment.

5 Likes

Hah I like that idea

1 Like