Volunteer opportunity - Truck needed for kiln pick up

Greetings,

I purchased a new kiln for GlassWorks this weekend. The one they had is stock was sold. They told me I would have 5 weeks before our would be in.

Welp, I received a call today they found the one in stock was a hold not a sale and the canceled the hold. So I need to go buy and pick it up this weekend. This kiln is small but the legs are attached the box may be 36 to 45 inches wide, well under 3.5 to 4ft tall.
The actual kiln with brick maybe 20 x20 in wide square x 3 ft ish tall.

They recommend not removing the the attached legs, and keeping it boxed to transport boxed and way to tall for my SUV. weight wise I think me and 1 person will have no issue.

Is anyone with a truck available this Saturday to meet me in Ft Worth to pick up and take to DMS for Testing?

I would like to run a couple test loads then have this moved a 2nd time to storage. so 2 moves are involved.

@brendamvilla
@madisonworthington

Hello Brenda and Madison,

I put the other small kiln that was in the Ceramic Dept in storage, I am requesting to put this kiln in the Ceramic dept for a short time for 2-3 test fires then it will also go to storage. Please advise if this is agreeable. I though I had 5 weeks. :woman_shrugging:

Thank you
Anita Willis

1 Like

Anita, where is it to be picked up from? I have a truck and may be able to help. -Dan Henderson

1 Like

That would be fantastic! American Ceramic supply off 30 / just off Beech St

If you don’t find someone closer I can help. I’m 40 miles on the wrong side of DMS so Ft Worth is nearly 2 hrs’ drive for me.

I do have an appliance hand truck (like the pic below) with strap you could borrow which would make moving to and securing it in the truck easier.

I can bring it Thursday night. If you want to use it, let me know via PM and we can coordinate.

1 Like

Thanks, unfortunately I can not guarantee it wont disappear at DMS. So I will decline the hand truck offer, but I really appropriate it

They can load it on a truck with a fork lift. I think we can then put it on a roll cart to DMS, then back to a truck on a roll cart in a couple of days to go to storage.

1 Like

@coloneldan I am open all day Saturday what time is best for you to meet there?

This is a small kiln 2 people should be able to handle comfortably. I’m just not sure about how big the packaging is.

The weight is 190 unpackaged

I’m not sure about the scheduling. I think my Saturday is pretty open.

Can I pick it up and then bring it to DMS and meet you there or were you wanting to ride along? I live in North Carrollton and usually just take the Bush to 30 to get to Ft Worth.

Meet you there I will be coming up 20 to 820

I guess what I was thinking is that I could just go get it. Then you wouldn’t have to drive to American Ceramics. I could then just meet you at DMS with the kiln. You could call and notify the seller I was their to pick it up.

I’m just trying to simplify logistics.

I am meeting someone there to get personal supplies. So I am planning on being there before you to shop.

Ok. Cool. When were you planning to be there? I have a standing breakfast date, but could probably go out afterwards? I’m thinking meet there about 11:00AM or so maybe even a little earlier. I’d like to look around, too.

ooh just remembered the close at 12,

11 is fine

Send me your contact number for texts etc to hender99 at the google mail domain and I’ll do the same. (I made it a little cryptic to spoil the crawlers. )

Anita, I personally don’t have a problem with it. If the Ceramics Committee has any issues we will have to take it up to a vote at the next committee meeting. This would also be a good opportunity to return the 240V kiln that was donated to us back to storage before revisiting if we would like to convert it into a raku kiln.

lets talk about it. We can get 1 more kiln in storage in the isle, but not 2. The small round one on the cart went into storage. But 1 kiln may fit in the isle.