Volunteer Opportunity Metalshop Camera Down

I need someone to repair the camera in the metalshop this is the one in the back right corner.

I would like to find a volunteer willing to get on ladders and work on repairs for an ongoing basis though.

Can refer to this task.
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/completed-volunteer-opportunities-camera-repair/20055/20

:warning: **NOTE**: This category is **NOT** for discussion threads. Any "discussion" will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate "discussion thread".

@Robert_Davidson ~ if I understand correctly, @Bill has volunteered to be the primary on an ongoing basis for camera troubleshooting. If he will confirm, then I will move this into the #issues-requests category and mark it as an issue.

1 Like

What is broken about the camera? I don’t have access to the camera system so I need more information to help.

From the linked post @bill I’m guessing replaced the network cable ends and that fixed the issue. This should be a one time fix for a camera that is stationary and not moved. Do you think we are running into malfunctions of the camera? If so are you wanting the camera replaced? Do we have extra cameras somewhere in the shop?

We believe that it’s a connectivity issue. The network cable probably needs to be tested.

1 Like

The last few days have seen several cameras go down and some have come back on.

The one outside has been rock solid since the connector replacement.

The one in the Common Room went out, then came back. Like for the one by the lasers.

The last time I checked a couple of days ago, the one in the Galley along with both of those in the Metal Shop were down.

@StanSimmons Stan and I agreed that it is probably premature to check an individual network cable unless we think we are having a recent explosion of rodent activity. He is currently reconfiguring the servers for the cameras, so lets see whether that solves these problems.

1 Like

The Metalshop camera is still down. @Bill are you able to get it repaired

At the current time, that is the only camera down. When I replaced the connector, I taped the cable so that the weight of the cable is not trying to pull the connector apart. So I suspect that the problem is either on the server end or somewhere along the cable itself.

Does DMS have a cable tester with TDR functions?

We have a tester, but I do not know if it has TDR functions.

FYI Metalshop camera is still down is anyone able to repair it?