Video: Making Biodiesel from Waste Vegetable Oil

I notice that the ingredients and products are similar to those for making soap.

“Making Biodiesel from Waste Vegetable Oil”

1 Like

isn’t the glycerin (the major by-product) usable to make soap and other cosmetics?
Link for info.
Also, gotta say not washing your bio and/or titrating for your lye mixture seems like trouble, but I’ll give this video the benefit of the doubt that much was cut for the sake of a fun little video…

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking; glycerin soap. I want to make soap, and I have most of the ingredients and supplies to do it. I just need to pull it all together and jump in!

From what I’ve read in other sources, nobody does that. At least, I’ve never seen anyone who does it.

From what I’ve seen, few people admit to it, because washing makes it look less glamorous…
However, if you want to sustain diesel-like reliability, and/or run in modern CF/DI engines, it shouldn’t be considered optional…
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bubblewash.html

1 Like

“Free glycerin and sodium or potassium soaps in the fuel will do harm”

See, that’s what I’d be making; sodium or potassium soaps!

I wonder if I could open my own “Soap and Fuel” outlet?

Thanks for the link.

Sure thing.
Wondered the same, myself, so I’ll expect royalties. ROFL. Seriously, I just want an autograph if you make millions off the idea.

From what I’ve seen, few people admit to it, because washing makes it look less glamorous…

I’m sorry - what did you guys say?

I was a little too distracted by the image of cowgirl ecogeek with a nice build to catch the OCHEM part of what you were talking about.

JAG “Typical Male Response” MAN

See, this is the way it’ll work…

We use aquaponics to produce fish and vegetable oil that we then use in our truck stop diner. Truckers can stop there to refuel their trucks on our biodiesel made from the waste oil, eat the food we grow, and wash using the soap we make. It’s a highly efficient operation!

I can see no flaws in that plan…