Used SawStop saw

I know that Greg asked for his Delta saw to be returned to him.

I see that a used SawStop ICS53230 is available at the UNT Surplus warehouse for $1375.

There’s no way to tell whether it’s in good condition without someone making a trek up to Denton to see it, but it sure looks like a good price.

1 Like

I think the last time this was brought up, the general consensus (correct me if I’m wrong) is we want at least one non-sawstop due to material and operational restrictions when using them (Dado, woods with char, etc). @Team_Woodshop additionally does not seem to want to make the charge override key available for users that know it will trip otherwise.

They can clarify if that plan has changed since I last saw the discussion.

Cheers,
-Jim

4 Likes

Correct, that was the majority consensus.

Edit- Per the last woodshop committee meeting we looked at a few different possible brands and types of saws. The motion was tabled in lieu of more research of brands, saw capabilities, and price points.

2 Likes

I haven’t been to meeting so not sure if this was discussed directly. But when SawStop was originally purchased, 10 of the bypass keys were purchased with it (this was a while ago). The plan was to place one on the wall or in the cabinet and if anyone wanted to bypass, they could do so…this is functionally no (or very little) different from deciding to use the Delta (or whatever) instead of the Sawstop. The consequences then become the burden of the user if they choose to use the bypass function.

Saw Stops are SAFE, and save fingers. We’ve seen this recently.

The main issue IMO is having to change blade brake out for making Dados…expectation would be to then remove the dado brake and replace with standard brake and leave saw in a “standard configuration” for next user. But since we can’t even get people to sweep up their own mess or turn the dust collector on when sawing/sanding…

6 Likes

Recent requests for the bypass keys have all been denied.

2 Likes

@hon1nbo, I don’t think that Marshal was arguing that point. Rather, at the time of purchase it was understood that bypassing the safety was something that we expected to do often, hence the large amount of keys.

I do also agree with you on the fact that the practice of by passing the safety is not readily available to our members. And, to make matters worse, often responded to with miss information about how the bypass works.

1 Like

I am talking to UNT about donating the sawstop to us. I will know for sure on Monday morning. If we have 2 sawstops, it will require advanced training before we allow people to access and swap cartridges and/or use the bypass feature. It will also require the kiosk in the woodshop to be repaired so we can take payments when people set off the brake. We have not been compensated for the last 5 cartridges/blades. My biggest concern is that the people who have unsafe habits will use the bypass all the time so they can keep practicing them without having to pay for cartridges. I have seen it save 2 fingers in the last month. One idea that was presented to me is if/when we get the 2nd sawstop, we hotwire it to permanently bypass the blade brake feature, and repaint/label it so people know it’s not going to save their finger. That way, everything is interchangeable between the two (sleds, fences, blades, parts, etc.). We also get a 5hp, 3ph saw for less than a 3hp 1ph (if we have to pay for it) Any thoughts on this?

6 Likes

I like this idea. Interchangeable parts is always going to be beneficial in the long run.

3 Likes

Given that you have to re-bypass the safety with every power cycle of the saw and the traditional user of the table saw power cycles nearly every cut. It is unlikely that those with bad practices will intentionally do this. Rather, the likely scenario is that some one will bypass the safety for a few cuts and power cycles, then forget to bypass the safety in a later cut and set off the brake.

My two cents, but not lead of the wood shop, don’t want that job.

1 Like

Is it like that or per hard cycle?

You must reactivate the bypass every time the blade stops.

Thanks for the clarification, It wasn’t clear to me from the conversation on Talk.

The manual (link obtained here) should make it fairly clear what the manufacturer thinks happens:

1 Like

I think this is a good way to go, although I am not one of those specifically against a non-Sawstop solution. @hon1nbo makes good points, and if the Bypass mode can be permanently enabled, or ideally just enabled for an RFID session, that would be great. I wonder if folks @ S/S have some thoughts on this?

As you know, switching out brake is not terribly difficult, although does need to be shown/demonstrated, maybe with laminated cheat sheet as a reminder/refresher, like what we have over by Multicam. We just need to figure out how to make sure people do the right thing and put the regular brake back on, or [some consequence].

I would be hesitant about this generally liability cases revolve around duty of care. It would be preferable to provide bypass keys to people or on the wall for people to use so that DMS is not the one that removed a safety device.

3 Likes

So can you not use the dado brake with a regular blade?

1 Like

That’s right. Distance between blade and brake is critical for Saw Stop system to function correctly (in fact system won’t allow saw to energize if gap is too large). Standard blades are 10", dado stack are typically 8".

1 Like

Why is someone allowed to remain a member if they don’t reimburse per policy? If they don’t pay for it, that means the rest of us are.

4 Likes

I live about 4 miles from UNT surplus place. If you decide it might be worth buying let me know and I can transport it to the Space.

3 Likes