Unofficial discussion of DMS Board Elections 2016

That was absolutely not my intent. I’m simply stating that “jumping the gun” is not helpful, especially since the board has not yet verified that they can do this. Right now it’s just causing unnecessary confusion.

I know it wasn’t Brooks, and wanting peace and tranquility is not a bad motivation. I’m just pointing out that the actions of the board need to be conducted in front of the membership that they represent - all 950 of us.

2 Likes

I’m sure the methods used will be posted soon. I’d agree with Brooks, a lot of people read everything on the forum like truth. So the speculation on here right now may cause confusion for people that don’t know how forums work

Good point, the confusion of just talking about idea and actually taking action is often the contention of this forum.

Speculation:
If we are going to setup a system that works like Walter observed being discussed at the meeting. Where the proxy will take the top 5 voted for and put all votes towards them. Then I would like to offer to take on proxies for anyone that would just like to have there vote submitted in the same manner as if they had voted in person.

I would setup a web forum that members can submit their name and vote to. Then I will show up in person and cast their vote as they intended.

Is there a way that I can check voting rights to inform anyone that gave their proxy that may not of claimed voting rights yet?

OR

Is there a way that as their proxy that I can submit the claim for voting rights for them If they agree to that?

Thanks,
Nick

1 Like

According to the link Luke posted above

1 Like
  1. Feel free to do so! Anyone is welcome to do what Andrew is doing, technically.
  2. The board will make public the list of voting members as required by law, by the time prescribed by law.
  3. No. The person requesting voting rights must make the request themselves via the prescribed process, as it is written in the Rules. Honestly I don’t see a point in this, but you asked so I answered :slight_smile:

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

• From what I have read of Luke’s post and Allen’s discussion from Sunday, this may not meet the legal requirements. IF our prior voting system does, it will be because it allows a reasonable degree of verification that the person voting is the member with the voting rights since it is tied into the WHMCS/AD system.

If you set up your own system you would need some reasonable means of ensuring that the person voting online is in fact the member. Not sure of a good general system to allow for that. It seems that the traditional means of proxy, needs to have some electronic replication. IE, a digital signature like I use on this post
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1
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=QJgW
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

1 Like

It’s a sticky post but just in case anyone missed it see this post.

I didn’t really want to muddy any waters with this in Andrew LeCody’s thread, and I did not “just do it” for fear that there might be some procedural reason not to, but…

I would like to see the Statements of Intent category broken into sub-categories by year, as was done with the Meetings category. If that creates no problem prodecurally, I’d be happy to do it…

1 Like

Go for it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you.
It is done.

3 Likes

Three out of five directors are stepping down this year, another maybe, and voting starts in three weeks with no statements of intent yet? :dizzy_face:

Any “maybes” out there on the fence?

2 Likes

So do we have the results from previous elections on line? I was wondering what typical vote counts are for the various candidates.

1 Like

Look at the pinned topic. If you log into the online system, you can see the results from past years.

3 Likes

I’m on the fence. Been looking for something since I moved to Dallas and had to give up my position on my fraternity’s board. I only joined six months ago so hesitant to jump in with both feet but if it comes down to literally needing people I’m happy to jump in, but don’t want to be taking the seat from someone who’s been around longer and deserves it more.

FWIW, MBA from a top ten, business marketing at AT&T by day and mostly hang around the wood shop. Also a landlord and law school dropout.

I think if I ran I would want to focus on beefing up PR, trying for corporate grants/donations/sponsored areas (Bell Labs Electronics Room?).

Would also like to work with the folks that run the occasional local artisan sales downtown (Unbranded) to have a Makerspace shop for members to sell items or showcase and get commissions.

Not knowing much about the board, no idea if I’m what people are looking for but if people want me to run I’m happy to serve.

1 Like

I’m running. I will update the wiki soon.

6 Likes

Just an FYI joining the DMS BOD is not like any other board your job is not to decide direction from all high. It’s to do the job when everyone else will not to keep the place running.

If you want to focus on PR than I recommend you join PR and goto the meetings.

If you want to work on grants nobody is going to stop you, reach out and see if there is interest. (Just an FYI if you do a grant be prepared you will have to make sure all paperwork is done on time)

4 Likes

To anyone wishing to run, the statement of intent can be a little tricky if you’re new to using a wiki. If you’d like a hand with creating your statement of intent page I’d be happy to help.

2 Likes

Like calling a plumber when the toilet is broken. Getting the AC fixed. Researching insurance providers. Getting quotes on electric work. Making run to buy hand soap and paper towels.

Oh, the glamour! Thanks to the BoD and volunteers who make it run.

:wink:

5 Likes

It is truly a servant leadership responsibility. They have help from some very fine committee chairs and other volunteers, but I agree with @lampy. We have some great leadership at DMS The Board of Directors is not a glamorous job… Thanks to all who help to keep things running smoothly, especially our board!

1 Like