Turntable troubleshooting?

Would anyone be able to suggest a good way to troubleshoot just the turntable that’s part of a five foot cabinet? When I had it repaired recently all I did was take out the turntable and take it to the repair shop. He’s since closed down but I figure he either had a test rig set up or something like that? I suspect it’s just the table as it seems to be getting power but will not spin or auto feed records, everything else on the console works fine still though.

I wonder if the belt drive broke? It is probably something simple that failed.

Looked like the belt was alright, you’re saying the part that actually turns the belt though right?

I have had several record players that the belt broke due to age or turned to slime. You may be able to pull that module and bring it in one night that Jayson and I are around and we can take a look and see if we can spot any obvious issues with that module or the electronics. If you have the manual with schematics for the console that would be helpful but not absolutely necessary.

1 Like

Nate, who did you take it to for repair? I also have a huge console turntable and Preston Video has an old man that repairs old turntables. He reverse engineered some parts for mine. it is still not 100% but it was way better. Something was definitely still off as it would auto-feed the next album and stop playing with about 90 second left on each side. And it skipped on brand new non-dusty non-scratched records.

The skipping sounds like a counterweight or anti-skate issue.

That is what I thought, I tried the age-old penny on the arm trick and it was better but still skipped on perfect records. Its such a nice cabinet and the sound is great, but I am probably going to go ahead and sell the whole thing.

Mine did the same thing as yours except for the skipping. It was an older gentleman that worked out of an antique mall I believe. My dad is the one that dealt with him so not sure

Shot in the dark but any @Team_Vector folk gonna be at the space this evening that would have a minute to take a look at the module(?) and maybe point me the right direction

I will be up at DMS some later this week in the afternoons. I am currently enjoying holiday vacation time to take care of stuff that has been on hold for a while. I should be there both Wednesday and Thursday afternoon.

1 Like

Cool, if I could pick your brain for a few minutes that would be very much appreciated.

I could be up Thursday and Friday