Turned honey dippers and fountain pens

I’ve had a few requests for fountain pens and was thinking about honey dippers. I tend to get a lot of enthusiasm until folks see the cost so I’m asking with cost as a factor in this check. Any interest out there for these? See pics below.

Vertex magnetic cap fountain pen made with a nice exotic wood- $16

Stainless honey dippers (we’ll turn the handle)- $15

All wood 6” honey dipper (mid tier exotic)- $6

Edit- A: not my work but examples of what we could make, B: prices are AT COST. I am not in the habit of overcharging for classes. My goal is to break even at the cost of the materials.

5 Likes

Didn’t see pictures but I would be interested in a class for fountain pens. Do these classes usually require previous wood–working experience?

1 Like

Thanks for noticing the pictures didn’t upload. I’m on mobile and I guess they failed. I just tried again and they worked.

The only prerequisite is that you have taken the lathe basics class so you are checked off on their use.

2 Likes

Just my two cents, but of the photos you shared, the all wood and wood handled stainless appeal to me more than the steel and acrylic(?) handled pieces. Honey is a homey, feel-good food and the warmth of the wood seems a better match.

I’d be up for a stainless + wood handle or all-wood turning class.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I agree but for one exception. An acrylic honeycomb handle that looks like a glob of honey. That would be pretty sweet.

3 Likes

agreed, the maker of those first 2 missed the opportunity to make that resin a nice amber color.

Make a wood pen, with a honey dipper on the end, so when I’m thinking and have my pen in my mouth it tastes like honey.

8 Likes

Laughing at this comment as I have one of the pens I turned in my mouth…

3 Likes

Count me in for a fancy fountain pen! Depending on the date - that’s always my issue

4 Likes

I’m down for a pen. And would happily cough up more than 16 bucks, as well.

More than a honey dipper. Although if I made a honey dipper I like the resin ones. But could live without the honeycomb design on the outside. Or floated inside. Whatever is happening there…

1 Like

Its aluminum honeycomb suspended in resin. And thanks for voting :slight_smile:

The honey dippers look cool, but I confess I’m not super sure the purpose? I get to dip honey, but I guess I’m a pleb because my honey is usually in a squeeze bottle :flushed:

I like the idea of a fountain pen, although do you persoannly have one of those in the photo? Are they comfortable to hold?

1 Like

Honestly, they are 1) an affectation (you are spot on that few people use them actually dip honey), and 2) make for a great student exercise in spindle/between centers wood turning. Hence all of the honey dust-collecting honey dippers in the world (like mine!)

edit:
Just like this ridiculous thing, for which I have absolutely no use for, other than to chase burglars out of my house with:

3 Likes

Haha how do I like this response more than once?

Make your own pasta with that thing. Homemade pasta is the real deal.

1 Like

I haven’t even turned the fountain pen I bought months ago but definitely

1 Like

Back before squeezable bottles that is how people would drizzle their honey onto things. They would carry their empty honey jar to the haberdasher, or ride their horse if they were lucky enough to own one, have him fill the jar and they would pay a ha’penny. Spoons didn’t even exist yet so they made these wild contraptions. Colonials, amiright?

I do own a couple of vertex fountain pens and they are great to write with. They flow ink well and are really easy to fill. As part of the class I will bring some of my personal bottles of ink (I have quite a few) and let students get their first fill on me (as well as learn how its done).

5 Likes

I had to go look that up. The only haberdasher definitions I knew were for purveyors of clothing. So im picturing somebody walking in with their honeypot for a refill while somebody is getting fitted for a new codpiece. :rofl:

Luckily, I found confirmation that the earlier meaning was for purveyors of household goods. Which makes a LOT more sense.

1 Like

The movie Hateful 8 has a reference to haberdashery. That’s about the only reason I knew what it was.

1 Like