Trying to drill a straight hole into the base of a 2x4

Hey there, I am building a minimal profile projector screen with 2x4’s, and I want to bore a straight 1" hole into the base of the 2x4, so I can drive a 1" steel pole into the base of it, which will be welded to a weighted base. My question is, how would I drill that deep 1" hole straight? The 2x4 is 8’ long, so the drill press won’t work. Has anyone devised a jig to keep a drill straight during a drilling process like this? I’m not opposed to cutting the 2x4, drilling the 1" hole then reattaching it… Any advice would be appreciated!

If you need a full lenght hole on an 8 foot board and it can be slightly smaller than mill size
Then split it straight down the middle, use a one inch dimater ball router bit set at. 500" depth and route a groove on each side, then glue up. I’d wax the radius portion before glue up so no squeeze out didn’t sticks

If width matters, split a wider board, then trim to size.

You could even glue the pipe into place if it doesn’t need to move. Boring a 96" center line hole is not easy without special tools. At a very minimum you’d need a boring bar/drill slightly over 48" of cutting capacity it pray they align perfectly.

Even if you drill a 1" hole unless the pipe is less than 1" it is very likely to split the wood as it’s pushed through. If it can be glued in place you’ll basically have a quasi laminate structure thats mucho stronger.

Considering how much wood warps, that’s a difficult task. And oversize board, split, routed glued back together then cut to size has a better chance. Gluing pipe in place will also prevent warpage. But cutting down and squaring up an oversized piece of cured wood should help greatly with the warpage issue. That wood would be how I’d do it any way.

3 Likes

I’m going to assume you do NOT actually want a hole the entire length of the 2x4, but only a few inches deep. Use a drill alignment guide as seen here https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/trebuchet-sig-meetings-sundays/12213/97
Since a hole saw or forstner bit is your best tool, use a trued piece of scrap on the drill press to create an alignment guide, then use it with a hand drill as depicted.

I decided to attach a welded female connector on the exterior of the 2x4, it will be minimal enough that it shouldn’t be an issue, BC there’s just too much risk to having it drilled through the center of the stud…