Tool request / suggestion

Brandon,

I’d like to request a couple tools / accessories:

This is a “funnel/drain pan” great for catching coolant, auto trans fluid for those (most - not all) vehicles that do not have a drain plug in the transmission pan, and more. It should reduce spills and cleanup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR6WA/ref=s9_zgift_hd_bw_b13uKv_g263_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=FW5M7G0FJWRVVFXEEZ9Q&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=823717db-a59c-4074-92c9-83a84340e2dd&pf_rd_i=15707881

Hose clamp pliers set (the plastic case “should” keep them organized and out of the already overflowing drawer for ‘pliers’…
https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Deluxe-Flexible-Plier-Assortment/dp/B00EQGDW7C/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1469381327&sr=8-10&keywords=hose+clamp+pliers

large Channelocks:

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-480-2-Inch-Capacity-20-Inch/dp/B00004SBCX/ref=sr_1_sc_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1469382606&sr=1-3-spell&keywords=20"+plirs

4 Likes

The tranny catch funnel seems like a no-brainer universal win.
DIdn’t the 'Space already have one or 2?
Did they walk off, maybe?

1 Like

I’m not sure - I’ve only been a member for a year and haven’t seen one. They are less than the $50 that some feel is “ok” to walk off with so who knows for sure.
That funnel would have come in handy for the cooling system work Stan and I did last night and a few others recently.
Last night the breaker bar that walked off would have been handy as well…

2 Likes

$20 to help avoid spills? We should get two :slight_smile:

2 Likes

JP - my keyword was “reduce” but yes…more fluid captured in the funnel could reduce or avoid spills in many situations.

I purchased the hose clamp plier set in addition to other consumables (wd 40, brake clean, x60 paper towel, oildri, cutoff wheels, floor jack), which spent almost all of the monthly allocation, auto is back down to a ~$60 balance

1 Like

Thanks for the tools Brandon!

Brandon, on one of the upcoming Thursdays (automotive meetings) can we work on getting several classes (nights / weekends) on the calendar for automotive related classes to generate funding for automotive? For those that may need “day time” classes - I am available on Mondays.

1 Like

Are we billing the thief? Or at least banning them as a member, I was surprised that even though they were identified there was no action by the board in the last meeting to ban the thief permanently or even for the short term.

4 Likes

Nah.
Jacks are consumables, like paper towel.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

We have another thief?

Apparently/

[quote=“wandrson, post:8, topic:11097”]
Are we billing the thief? Or at least banning them as a member, I was surprised that even though they were identified there was no action by the board in the last meeting to ban the thief permanently or even for the short term.
[/quote

Apparently if the “street value” of the items stolen is only $50 theft is “okay” at the Space…sure seems like the message to me.

That could potentially be a lot of individual tools or accessories in the wood shop, machine shop, auto and so on.

The Carrollton Police Department told me last week they were issuing an arrest warrant for @Phillip_Hardwick for the theft of the jack, breaker bar, and sockets. As a matter of principal we don’t make rules or discipline members for things that are already illegal, we just call the police because that’s what police are for. If you see @Phillip_Hardwick at the Dallas Makerspace call the police immediately. A photo of him is below.

I’m also tired of shit from people about banning members. If people want to piss and moan about banning then fuck it, I won’t waste my time trying to ban people. We’ll gladly take the money for the dues, even from a jail cell.

1 Like

We banned the last thief. That seems like good practice, since you can’t really prevent them from entering the building if they have paid their dues and the arrest turns out to not do anything.

Wasn’t this the guy with the attitude when told he couldn’t ‘borrow’ the lift?

Yes, same guy. Chances are he’ll get banned.

1 Like

Same guy who said that carrying concealed would keep potential thieves at bay. He was very vocal in the 30-07 thread.