Thoughts on Gift Membership?

I’m sure there isn’t any method in place for this, but what are your thoughts on implementing some method for gifting months of membership? I’ve thought it might make a nice gift for the upcoming holidays.

3 Likes

There’s the Maker Fellowship Fund
which can be gifted to fellow makers (by the board). I think it’s intended to be used for rewarding folks who’ve gone above and beyond for the 'Space, and I don’t think that’s what you mean. I suspect you mean to gift to non-members, though there’s been discussions about using it for that, too. Point being, there IS a mechanism in place for this, but I don’t know if it’s helpful to your intended purpose.

I like the idea of a Gift Membership, possibly implemented as a gift certificate, but I’m not sure if it is possible with our current billing system.

A possible alternative would be to get a Visa or Mastercard Prepaid Gift Card online or at most of the major retailers around town. They generally cost an additional $5-$10 over the stored value, and some can be “recharged” with more money online.

I’d like to give a friend of mine a month’s membership to DMS as a going- away present from work.

Is a Prepaid Gift Card, as @StanSimmons mentioned the best option?

1 Like

Yes. The other option would be to remember to shut off the membership at the end of the month. The automated billing system will keep charging the card that opened the account so long as there’s money, and the membership isn’t terminated by the member (or person with access). The prepaid card makes that easy, as there will only ever be the money that was put on it. One month will be perfect. Some of the prepaid cards have a small monthly fee that you’d need to add if you were trying for 2 months, and that would make it a bit more “special”.

If your friend wants to continue after the month, it’s easy-peasy for them to change the billing system to their own card.

2 Likes

I’m working on a much better option… give me a few days.

6 Likes

Will do, thanks Stan @StanSimmons

I’ve tested a “gift card” module for our billing system, WHMCS, and it works.

There are some legal issues with Gift Cards and Federal and State regulations. My reading of Tex. Business & Commerce Code §604.001, §604.101, §604.102, §604.052, and Tex. Property Code Ann. §72.1016 says we can do this, but we really need to run this by our Tax Attorney before we turn it on.

4 Likes

@Photomancer, could you take care of contacting PureTax and having their 501©3 guy give us his opinion?

2 Likes