Things needed in Automotive

I’m asking because I honestly do not understand this, and would like to find a way to make the wiki and its treasure trove more accessible.

How did you look?

I am able to find most committees’ chairpersons (provided the info is up to date,and I know the name of the committee) in just a few seconds on the wiki. I assume this is because I know the drill with the wiki, and am unable to see how others are attempting to use it.

How to contact is…well…l sometimes challenging, but you would then at least be able to post that you know the name of the chairperson to whom you would direct this if you knew how to contact them…

There’s two in the drawer that are completely mangled. I tried sorting them into the holders the other day. Didn’t work. We are missing so many sizes

Totally fair. Going back to the main wiki page, I now see the committees link at the top.

Here is how I tried to do things, and where I went wrong.

After my conversation, I really wanted to find KrisKat’s user name so I could follow up on a commitment. She introduced herself as the president (I’m pretty sure) and so that is what I went looking for since I did not remember her name. Then started searching for keyword president on the wiki. Nothing. On talk there were comments about Trump, but no org chart. I then went through the meeting minutes expecting to have offices called out. I could not find her in the minutes either, at least by title.

I then went back to the wiki and went to the members link on the left side. This was an outdated reference, and did not have positions. I beleive that I did at one point click on the committees link looking for the officers, but did not find them their either. For me the important links should be in the left column. Looking at what is in the banner and the left column they mostly repeat but not all.

I then remembered that she was the fairy wings lady, and went to find her show and tell. Great, now I have a name. Not wanting to go through the process again, and “assuming” that the information was not there, I did not try again to find the committee chair, but rather posted the message in the automotive area.

So… yes the information is there. Had I started looking for a committee and not an officer, maybe I would have done better. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Regarding wrench organization, how do we feel about setting up some magnetic storage? I use a few of these in my personal garage:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010Z9S52/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They’re excellent for storing wrenches in order of size and type, and it’s very obvious at a glance if any are missing. Also, they’re not likely to get mangled like plastic wrench holders, and they can accommodate a much wider variety of wrenches than most plastic holders.

2 Likes

No ruffling at all - I appreciate your feedback and effort.

There are “C” clamps that are traditional malleable iron C clamps in the facility somewhere - as other committees move their things around who knows where things end up. No biggie - I am sure I have a few in my workshop that I will donate.

The misc plastic boxes on the wire shelves house several tools that most don’t know about - that is an area I’d like some constructive input with in organising with a better use of the space.

Mathew is a good automotive guy, very helpful and always positive.

Air nozzles - have a labeled drawer - for tire gauges, blow guns etc. (or should be) on my list of things to replenish - (thanks)

Spark plug sockets? The “typical ones 13/16” (21mm) 6point and 5/8" (16mm) 6 point were the “standard” a few years ago - but now there are a few others needed that we don’t have,

I am working on a tool wall - to hand various hand tools with an outline for where they belong - for those that might put them back. Wrench trays are in the drawers - but few put the wrenches in them - so no point in buying more.

More later

2 Likes

Cool beans. Thanks again.

On the subject of wrench trays I was just suggesting that they hang rather than a drawer where they can get thrown. I would work on a foam insert similar to the pliers drawer that only leaves room for some of these wrench trays. That might be an option.

1 Like

I prefer to hang them as well - I prefer the magnetic holders as well - the “easier” you make it to put it back where it belongs the better for the current crop of “people”

1 Like

Tool chests are more space-efficient than tool walls. They don’t seem to encourage organization once the userbase gets large and/or doesn’t know one another well enough to care.

I’m not sure which one best encourages an unfamiliar member to clean up after themselves.

The tool chest requires exploration, which might encourage the user to remember where something came from. But it also seems to encourages dump-and-run cleanup, which is arguably little better than no cleanup whatsoever.

The tool wall is easier to explore and ideally makes location identification easier. But to the unfamiliar user it might also be sufficiently intimidating that they just walk away when done. Familiar users are perhaps a bit more likely to clean up since a visible place for everything is a bit soothing.

2 Likes

The misc plastic boxes on the wire shelves house several tools that most don’t know about - that is an area I’d like some constructive input with in organising with a better use of the space.

How about clearing up the shelf they’re on, putting some vertical dividers in, and labeling the shelf “Specialty Tools” in addition to the individual labels on each tool kit? “Everything in its place” requires a clear idea of “a place for everything” in my experience. Putting in some division, be it with plywood or the like, even just zip-tied in, would help maintain some organization for the tools and encourage their discovery and use, albeit at the cost of some lost cubic feet.

Erik,

I agree with you on the tool box efficiency (and most of your views at the space) but the tool box is close to maxed out and the wrench and bottom “catch all” drawer are always a mess.

There is no easy fix that will make everyone happy or resolve the issue of those that fee that “someone” else will clean up their mess at the Space (not just in automotive).

There is a fairly large open wall space in automotive and I’d like to put it to use - using the metal industrial style pegboard that Brandon installed on the other side.
We need a larger set of wrenches and they take up a large chunk of real estate in tool box drawers - even when put away properly.
Ratchets and sockets are growing along with their related drive tools
1/2", 3/8", 1/4 coupled with 1/2" impact tools,

I have sent Brandon a message btw to figure out where we can reorder the pegboard. As soon as I find that out I’ll ask Logistics to purchase.

2 Likes

Gathering info for @TLAR and @Diplomat to help order. I know how busy they both are and I’m here to help.

I’ll measure tomorrow evening and update you

1 Like

I am available to order items.

I just need a chair to validate who gets charged.

Regards,

Steve

2 Likes

I just sent Tom this info, but here’s the site the pegboard was ordered from…

http://diamondlifegear.com/pegboard.htm

And here’s the post Brandon made about the cost/size…

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/brainstorming-a-better-ryobi-tool-shelf/18178/27?u=merissa

1 Like

Haha I just finished measuring it! So close to guessing it

My guess, ignore for ordering
Width: 45 1/2
Height: 33 1/2
Hole Size: 9/32
Material: Magnetic?
Gauge: 1/32  - 24 gauge?

I would guess about double of Brandon’s order that Merissa posted above as a start.

I have a concrete hammer drill if needed.

Big fan of the strip magnets for various purposes - thought I’d note: the 18" HF ones (a magnet’s a magnet, right?) tend to make regular appearances on the “buy anything get X item free” section of their coupons. In fact, they’re on there right now if I recall. Regular price $5.

Agree, magnetic strips are great for using tools (kitchen knives, scissors, pins, needles, etc) that won’t be around metal chips and filings since the tools will become lightly magnetized. So not a great choice for Metal or Machine Shop. But most order places they are great.

I love 'em, especially for holding small things like SD cards and US drives:wink:

I have a number of them at home. I believe I tossed one of the HF ones inside the coolant tank of the Cold Cut Saw to retard metal chips from recirculating through coolant pump. When tank is periodically cleaned out just get a leather glove and a heavy rag and wipe off the chips.

1 Like

So we have a cold saw magnet instead of a cow
magnet