Tensorflow Tuesday next week (1/29/2019)!

Hey folks,

For those of you interested in Machine Learning using Tensorflow, or interesting applications that lie at the intersection of Augmented Reality & Artificial Intelligence, I’ll be giving a talk next Tuesday 1/29 at 7:30 PM in the Lecture Hall demonstrating native Android code that uses Tensorflow Lite (running a stock Inception V3 model) so that you can detect objects in a scene. Upon seeing an object whose class/category you want to react to, we will use Sceneform (a nice abstraction layer on top of ARCore so you don’t need to know OpenGL) to attach a 3D model to a designated point in space nearby in the Augmented Reality view. The idea here is you can attach AR objects to any detected item(s) in general.

I’ll also walk through how to put the code together, common gotchas/pitfalls one might encounter along the way, and touch on some special cases of items you can detect that involve slightly different APIs/models that enable even more features (such as face detection and finding facial features). This is my “dry run” of the talk before giving it at Windy City DevFest in Chicago next Friday & an abridged version of it at DevFest DFW on 2/16.

Come join me and see how easy it is to get started building such an app. You might be surprised! (It’s actually a lot less code than Google’s own TFLite example without AR.)

1 Like

In case you care and are not aware, DMS General is not visible by outsiders.

2 Likes

Cool, just changed it. Thanks for the heads up!

2 Likes

Whoot!!! Been waiting for another one to come around.

1 Like

Might warrant a topic split, but what do we think about:

In general, the 50 foot (manager like) idea is that one models data from events logs and apm records.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/things-of-interest-ai-chip-design/49556

1 Like

Gentle reminder bump :wink: Hope to see you tonight! We’ll definitely be getting down into some code and library configurations, as it can be tricky to get working, so you need to know the gotchas. Also don’t forget to gear up for DevFest DFW on 2/16 in Plano (see link above).

1 Like

Looking forward to it.

Even got https://tensorflow.dallasmakerspace.org/tree?#notebooks online for us.

1 Like

To all who attended, thanks very much for coming! Please DM me if you have any suggestions for how I can make it better for my Friday presentation in Chicago, such as talking points, speed of delivery, slide aesthetics, or whatever else matters to you.

We have an all-star lineup planned for our local conference on 2/16, and somehow I was invited to give a very abridged 20-minute version of this, but don’t just come for me! There’ll be a bunch of Google Developer Experts – probably more than you will ever see this side of Mountain View – all for the low, low price of $30.

1 Like

Dress warmly…