Stargazing near Dallas - Now announcing the first ever Astronomy SIG campout

There’s room for one more tent and several more people under the current
reservation.

The other side of the wooden bridge appears to go to the campsites in the Bright Star Camping Area. I imagine along shoreline is likely going to be the best roll of the die for watching the meteor shower. We can always checkout the “swim beach” area (Heron Harbor Day Use Area on the map) after dark - the swim beach does have a restroom which likely has some form of external lighting.

Saw this today via Facebook

http://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/the-stars-at-night/

So who all is confirmed?

Mark and Jacob - tent one Saturday only
Cindy and husband - tent two Friday and Saturday
Nicole and Ayden - tent three Saturday only
Darren - tent four Saturday only
Ashley, Heather, Shaun - how many tents? Which days?
@Ashley_Newland @Heather_Williamee @SRichardson3D

??

Are we planning on a caravan?
I’m going up Saturday morning

2 Likes

The better 9/10 and I will be there. I believe the official ‘check-in’ time for the camp sites is 2pm. So if folks are there earlier, you may get the pick of the litter so to speak.

A caravan would work for those whom have thier own transportation. In my case, lyft and uber daily while car is in the body shop, and a few others may want to go but cannot for simular reasons. I’m thinking we could do a car pool to the site.

@denzuko ~ Are all of the members registered via the Calendar aware of this thread?

Also, how many spots (for individuals as well as tents) are still available?

I love to camp, but neither of my grandkids are interested in going. Silly lil party poopers.

At any rate, it looks like registration is still open on the calendar until 7 PM tonight… So others who haven’t spoken up on this thread may still be interested…

1 Like

I think there’s room for one tent and several people given the list I received from @denzuko yesterday.

1 Like

I’m so sorry you guys, but i think we are going to have to back out TT.TT
ty for trying to include us though

I don’t think I saw you on the list…

Are all of the members registered via the Calendar aware of this thread?

They should be, most of them are already on this thread anyways. But as my usual I’ll send out updates after the signup closes which would include a link to this thread.

1 Like

So whom bringing what for the potluck?

I’m thinking a beef stew or french onion soup.

I’m also bringing the cold brew and french press.

You all keep an eye on the weather if you’re going out tonight. Severe thunderstorms are forecast, with large hail and tornados possibilities.

1 Like

Which is why I’m not going tonight!

Tomorrow looks very promising, though.

For dinner it’s hot dogs. Living large! Plus cheese, crackers, salami, pretzels, chips.

@mreynolds is promising eggs and bacon tacos in the morning.

I’m bringing a hot pot and pour over coffee supplies, too.

There’s an email circulating… want to make sure your email was accurate. Let me know if you didn’t get it.

PS - do we need DEET yet?

1 Like

As of 2 or 3 days ago, I have had mosquitoes in my backyard. But given the predicted cool temperatures after the front passes, you may not need bug spray.

the other day I got ate up while pool side. so I’m more than ever want some sort of protection :smiley:

I’m bringing…this “healthy” banana bread that I’ve never tried to make before. I’m not sure it’s going to work out. Forgot to buy veg oil and had to default to healthy - no yogurt or apple sauce people I tried.

My favorite banana bread has bourbon in it.

I offer that point for comparison.

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: DMS Camping Trip