So what's with the Tabby cats in the front?

There are two Tabby cats chilling in the front outside. They don’t seem to mind humans but they don’t have tags or anything. Are they feral and are taking residence in the bushes?

1 Like

They seem to have popped up recently too. They weren’t here a few weeks ago. I noticed them last week and thought maybe they’re just passing through. But they’re still here when I came in last night.

If they do belong to someone, should we call Animal Control to catch them and see if they are chipped?

Someone’s been feeding them too.

My opinion:
There is no residential facility near enough for these guys to be “escaped”, and they are almost certainly “dumped”. Feeding them will attract less desirable critters of all sorts, and is less kind than many folks think.Calling Animal Control is ALWAYS the right answer (with remarkably rare exceptions). If they are chipped, AC stands the best chance of getting in touch with the registrant and, hopefully, I am very wrong about their status and they will be reunited with a caregiver who is overjoyed to have them safe. If they are friendly, local rescue organizations (who almost exclusively obtain stock from local Animal Controls for a variety of reasons not limited to “due diligence” in terms of legal requirements) may pull them from AC and help them find new caregivers. Leaving them in their current situation, I think, is indefensible for all kinds of reasons involving not only their happiness, but the health and happiness of the landlord, facility, neighbors, etc.

12 Likes

Raccoons, possums, skunks, bobcats, coyotes, foxes - all of whom are generally granted dining privileges in advance of cats.

Equipped from the factory, sure. But a lifetime of Meow Mix appearing on a schedule and living indoors has dulled the instincts.

4 Likes

No argument from me, there, but nature is a cruel, cruel mistress when it comes to survival.

It has nothing to do with my wanting them around. If I had my way, we’d have a dozen or so furry mascots of various species in and around DMS so we could all play fetch/get our belly rubbing fixes any time we like. This is not realistic for any of a number of reasons.

1 Like

Cats are remarkable predators and survivors.

But… domestic cats are not native to North America. In fact they’re considered one of the most destructive invasive species by wildlife conservation groups. Domestic cats belong indoors. If these are feral, Animal Control should come pick them up.

3 Likes

We could run a feral cat program like SMU and other orgs do. You trap and get them vaccinated, and take advantage of their pest control and deterrence for other cats coming in.

2 Likes

This is another option. My opposition is that there have not been cats here, generally, during my tenure, so serving as the startup vector on such a program is irresponsible. Also, if they’re friendly, and out in daylight, they’re not feral (though they could become so, if left in place/survive long enough) and/or are ill. But I suspect bigger opposition will come from folks with the opinion of jwilson64 vis-a-vie other, “more” natural organisms and/or ailurophobics.

1 Like

Come on folks… do it the right way.

If their ears are docked, leave them be. If you want to put a bit off food out, fine, but don’t leave trash.

If their ears are not docked, call animal control.

The former tenants of our expansion area had a lot of mouse/rat traps out and these 2 can certainly help with that situation. We could see if the city has a program for feral cats where they spay/neuter them then release them back where they were found.

4 Likes

Good point on the docked ears. Dollars to doughnuts, they’re not.

Don’t do that. Organise if you want to head up the “DMS Feral Cat Committee”. I’ll pitch in. But encouraging folks to imagine they are the only kind souls leaving food out for the poor kitties is not the right thing to do. And this:

Having seen them, their ears are not docked. I am looking for a spay/neuter release program for them.

7 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

4 Likes

Word of the day: Ailurophobia

2 Likes

I’ll be involved in this.

2 Likes

I have no problem with cats, and have cats in my household for … dang, 27 years. I have a problem with stray, feral, or roaming cats.

My grandmother fed an “outside” cat who would do just this, right in the middle of the vinyl top, when he was mad about the quality of his supper.

1 Like

Look on the bright side…it could be worse:

7 Likes

Well if it’s anything like Australia’s great emu war the cats will have nothing to worry about :smile:

I have contacted a well known, rather reputable rescue organization (Dallas Cat Lady). I’ll see what they come back with. They walked right up to me the other night, so I think there’s some potentially possibility they can be fostered to see how they act and get adopted out. Otherwise TNR program.

4 Likes