Sinterit Lisa SLS Printer Setup

Probably a good idea to also do the screening out in the warehouse. Drop the cube containing your print in the bucket(s) and take out to process.

I read the manuals, watched the videos and opened the lid of the print chamber. You can tell with a large volume of powder we are one oppsies away from major cleanup. And from the often sticky mess from the Form 2, you know it will happen.

All this said, I’m very happy for DMS to have this capability!

You shouldn’t share a dust mask with anyone that you wouldn’t also share a tooth brush with. So effectively no one. So I would suggest that we consider those masks and gloves as disposable and treat it as such.

As for the included Sieve and Pan, it is going to make a huge mess to do this by hand the way they suggest. Just watch the video, they only show the use of the hand sieve very quickly and they speed up the footage to try and hide the powder clouds being created. It looks clean because in powder form the material is nearly white and they are shooting on a white table with a white backdrop. If this was in a normal room, the powder would be visible nearly everywhere very quickly. I’m talking from knowledge here. We use the sieve into a bucket option when working with Flash Powder in pyrotechnics, because the stray powder cloud produced from open sieving causes a serious ignition hazard which could ignite the whole batch. Trust me, I don’t wants kilos of explosives going off while I’m holding it in my hands. That stuff can turn a person into Pink Mist in a flash. I can bring in some charcoal powder or lamp black if you would like to see the mess that will be made with a more visible powder.

People openly sieving 20 micron to 100 micron powder in the room will very quickly coat everything in a fine layer of the material. The bucket screens and a 5 gallon bucket will drastically reduce this inevitable mess.

1 Like

I just wanted to follow up and see how this is coming? Who is taking the lead on this project? We got a few questions about it through email and I don’t have all the answers so who should I put them in contact with?

Thanks,

With the holidays coming, and me getting inundated with orders (a good thing), I haven’t been able to get back to the space to run a test print. I need to get with @Nick about the sieve, and a decision needs to be made about where we are going to operate the printer. Without even running a single print, this looks like it is going to be messy.

2 Likes

I’m open to chat whenever. Glad to help.

Sinterit_LISA_specification.pdf (125.3 KB)
I have some time available next week during the day or afternoons if @Nick needs some help or extra hands trying to set this up or get it running.

Hi @amiedd,

Cary (@CaryF300) is the lead on this project, I lend my expertise in how to not cover a room in powder while sifting it. :smile: I spoke with Cary last night and I believe he will be coming in some time next week to start making messes, keep in contact with him if you want to be involved in the initial group to Learn, Teach, and Use the Printer.

Please if you are getting in at the start, be willing to help teach and build curriculum. Because if this is only in the hands of one person and they get burned out, we may have to go through the process of teaching our selves to use this tool multiple times.

1 Like

Absolutely, I’ll get in touch with @CaryF300 and see what he needs from me. Thanks @Nick

Hi all. I am unhappy to report that life has gotten in my way, once again. The time that I am able to commit to the Makerspace has become much more limited. I have to make some hard choices about what projects I can take on, and what I have to give up. As much as I want to get this printer up and going, I don’t have the time to put toward it. I’m very sorry that I can’t continue getting this going.

To be done:

1. Decide where the printer is going to live, and move it there. It appears that it is going to be very messy, and probably shouldn’t be in the 3D Fab room.
  2. Figure out what we need to most cleanly sieve the used material while recovering the most usable powder.
  3. Decide whether this printer is going to operate like the other 3D printer with operation being handled by each user, or if it will operate more like the kilns with a few operators responsible for running job. The printer has to be cleaned every 3 prints, and it will operate best if the print area is tightly filled with prints. The entire build volume has to be filled with powder and heated to work, so it doesn’t make a lot of sense to subject the powder to the ~3 hour heat-up/cool-down cycle for a single small part. It is also wasteful in regards to the powder. I suggest having a limited number of operators to optimize the material and cleaning.
  4. Develop curriculum for the operation of the printer.

Again, I’m very sorry that I can’t invest more time in this project.

3 Likes

Thanks Cary,

Sorry your life caught up, all I can say is try running faster as I trip and fall into life. Your third point rings to what I feel is the largest problem with this kind of printer at DMS. We would probably require a small group effectively providing a service to the space to make this printer productive in being cost effective for member use. As none of our current committees work this way, we don’t have a guide line to follow.

Thanks for attempting it and I understand the decision. I would have made the same decision.