Sheet metal shear cutting difficulty

I tried to use the Baileigh stomp shear on some 22 gauge mild steel yesterday and it’s challenging. I don’t know whether the blade is dull or needs to be adjusted. I would be happy to help with a solution. I know a feeler gauge can be used to set the tolerances on the blade and I have one that goes down to .006 if that helps.
I don’t know the setup specs on that shear.

I have adjusted it many many times. Every time I go to use it, I have to adjust the blade & clamp. The ultimate test is to cut paper with it.

Well, a gentleman (who owns a sheet metal shop and has a stomp shear of his own) and I adjusted the shear this afternoon. The blade had a pretty nasty 2” or so dull spot on it. We flipped the blade. (It orignally had 4 cutting edges on it…now it has three.)
He checked the specs on the machine online and found it should have a gap of .006. We adjusted the blade to .006 and it seems to be cutting nicely now. There is also an adjustment (3 allen bolts with lock nuts on each side) for the slot the cutting blade iron casting moves up and down on on the back that we adjusted.
Maybe a sign or something on it that specifies what types and thicknesses of metal it will cut would be good.
Anyway, i hope we did some good.
Steve

5 Likes