Sheet metal brake

Welding is a great skill to have, and one you can learn at the the space.

The HF brake can’t do .375" steel. It’s really for thin sheet metal. That’s a substantial piece of metal to bend.

Also, something that thick should be bent/formed over a radius. Typically minimun radius is 2.5 times thickness to avoid internal stress risers/cracking or about 0.9 inches. You might get away with a smaller bend radius if the angle is small.

But a straight 90 degree corner like our brake does, above 45 degrees it’ll start losing strenght fast at 90 degrees may see slight cracking or at least the metal surface showing an “orange peel” appearance. Do not over shoot and reverse form (open angle up) that causes real problems unless a minor tweak.

Depending on how wide the part is you might be able to use a vice with a metal rod on top and bend form it over that to get the bend.

Google “minimun bend radius for steel” for more details if you are at all concerned about strength of part. If strength not an issue try in a vise and see what happens.

Good luck.

1 Like

My friend has a sheet metal coffee table-- can’t seem to find a picture of it online-- but it’s 1/8th(ish) thick. Basically a rectangle with the ends bent back toward the middle for legs, so a greater than 90 degree bend. There is a piece of square tubing welded onto the underside to provide strength.

Any idea on how the bends would have been made?

Brake press. I used to do 1/4" all the time with my home made brake. The wider you go the more tonnage of a press you would need. Swag-off-road sells a press kit that will do up to 19.25 wide @ 1/8". 3/8 is quoted at 5".

1 Like

They have this one now that looks promising.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/40-Inch-Universal-Finger-Press-Brake-DIY-Builder-Kit-_p_96.html

1 Like

the inside corners of the bends what would you guess is the radius.

I agree that a brake press was used and if more than 90 probably an air brake as they can get into tigth places plus they tend to use hydraulics.

A picture would be helpful.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it, but off memory, 70 degrees? Anything I’d want to would probably be around 90 degrees though

This looks kind of thick?

You want a metal finish? You could make it out of Acylic and do some cool led edge lighting. There is a plastic bender at the space. An infiniti mirror coffee table would be cool and easy. Wouldn’t have to weld or bend necissarily.

I would also use a shear and brake if we had good ones, especially a finger brake. But if we do decide to purchase that, please make it a priority to make a sign that says what materials and thicknesses are appropriate, and make it clear that adding handle extensions is a punishable no-no.

(I’ve seen someone break the cast yoke of a shear that way!!)

It needs to be clear that someone will be Real Mad :tm: if they use more torque than is intended for the machine, even though shear/brake tools look deceptively simple and inviting.

1 Like

Chuck Graf and I talked about the material and thickness issues.

Soon after hood installed for plasma cutter and we know how much money we have, we’ll be getting a shear, brake, and slip roller. These will be taught as one class as a training required before use… This training should go real fast and primary purpose is how not to abuse tool.

One thing we will do is have GO gages for various materials: steel, alum, brass, etc. attached to each tool. Very simple: select gauge for your type of material, if it doesn’t fit (GO) into slot then material is too thick. Don’t use tool. If you do that will be considered a diliberate violation/abuse of tool and not the type of accidents/mistakes that DMS is pretty tolerant and forgiving about.

Training required so no one can say “I didn’t know”.

The brake being looked at for purchase will be Finger Brake.

First the Hood installed then shop rearrangement for tools. Future looking good!

2 Likes

Can we make donations allocated to / tagged for certain tool(s) purchase? A larger capacity brake press and other bending / forming tools on par with the other shop tools are important to getting more members who are interested in metalworking and can get things done…

1 Like

Yes,
The HAAS, for example, was purchased primarily with donations from members who wanted to see it come in.
but it would have to be organized, set up, etc. :slight_smile:

FYI there’s a new brake and shear on the way. Awaiting delivery, the last I heard, on a 52" shear and 48" brake.

But if that doesn’t cut it (ROFL) bring up a plan for getting what you want, and see if others are onboard. Then try to actually collect and purchase. I’m sure some old-timers can give hints and tips, based on other experiences.

The next item on the wish list I believe is a slip roll.

I personally would like to see an English wheel & planishing hammer. Both are equally fun to use. I’d be up for a DIY English wheel since we can cut the parts out on the CNC.

I think the wheel & planishing hammer could possibly share a swivel stand.

Dimple dies would be nice. I would also be willing to put my bead roller on loan. It’s nothing fancy just an Eastwood roller that I had to beef up.

Did I ever mention I like working with metal? Lol

2 Likes

Get all that … we could build a motorcycle!

You can build a motorcycle with a drill, hacksaw, and a few files…

1 Like

Or maybe … even a motorized cooler!!!

1 Like

With making the cooler too.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Need help with the sheet metal brake

Closing this thread… See the newer related thread for details on our new sheet metal brake: