Rifle Open Carry - RNC/WEST OHIO MINUTEMEN 2016

I would like to see a Hatcher’s Armory Show and Tell event for all forms of weapons including rifles at the space.
What do ya’ll think?

1 Like

I wonder if that friendly ATF agent would come back for a Q&A session on stamps. Would be interesting to hear an agent go over AOW, SBR, SBS, Suppressors, pre '86 Transferables, and dealer samples.

2 Likes

I might be able to talk a gunsmith into coming by and give us a chat on them.

1 Like

I would love to bring out some of my toys!

1 Like

If it’s in a case, trigger locked and unloaded, you do you.

1 Like

Nobody will ever agree on what the appropriate circumstances are. No laws or organization rules dictate what you said. It’s a big squishy mess of opinions from both sides and logic is rarely a part of it. To me it seems like DMS members used to be more open minded and logical and I miss that.

5 Likes

Really? I thought Nate’s comment was very logical. If you want respect and less anxiousness from fellow members then you play above board and enforce safety. That would be unloaded, trigger locked, and in a case.

5 Likes

Said no firearms instructor ever.

3 Likes

There are plenty of public venues with firearms where they’re not in cases and without trigger locks. No ammunition is logical and at the venues I’ve seen there’s someone checking that chambers are empty when people arrive. Like I said, nobody will ever agree on what the appropriate circumstances are.

2 Likes

Yet you didn’t offer this as a response initially, leading me and others to wonder if you wanted a free-for-all.

2 Likes

Sorry my response wasn’t prefect? This explains a lot.

2 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

If this is some kind of macho swaggering strut your stuff event, then NO…
Educational class - absolutely.
There’s been interest voiced in past post.
From US Congress H.B. 5087

Ashley_NewlandScience Geek
Apr 5

One of y’all should teach a class on different types of guns and gun accessories. I understand how frustrating it is having a conversation about gun control (or anything for that matter) when the other side doesn’t have the same information as you.

ESmithMakerspace Member
Apr 5
Ashley_Newland

… and include a primer on basic gun laws as related to the layman and how they’re likely to encounter them on a practical basis.

Ashley_NewlandScience Geek
Apr 5
ESmith

YES! essentially an intro to guns class :slight_smile:

No live rounds/ammo. None. Period.
A basic set of rules/guidelines should be easy to agree on.
Be belligerent about following the rules, get banned.
QED

4 Likes

@Draco is suggesting a show and hold type event. Having to pull guns in and out of cases as well as locking and unlocking trigger locks is just too cumbersome for an event of this style and doesn’t add any real safety.

I would expect the event would be run much like our cleaning events. We would bring our firearms in cases to the space unloaded. We would setup in a room with the first rule being that there is no live ammunition allowed in the room. From there we would inspect the firearms being offered to make sure that they are all clear of any live ammunition and fully unloaded. Then we would arrange the firearms on a tables and invite the membership in to discuss and handle the firearms. When the event finished, we would pack up and go home.

7 Likes

Well thankfully I’ve never been a instructor, I have been around firearms my ENTIRE life; these are my adult legos.

What it does is give the perception of security and safety to those who only know what they see and hear on TV.

Carry cases and gun locks are easy ways to help folks who don’t know anything else about weapons to relax.

Do I carry weapons to the range with trigger locks on? No, but I do carry them to the range in a case and with no ammunition with them or in the same case as them. If you want to bring a weapon up to the space then bring it in a case like you would the range. If you don’t have a case, a trigger lock goes a long way to keep people from freaking out and possibly calling 911 over seeing weapons at the space.

There’s an air of perception that can be avoided by thinking of others and how we would like to be seen by them.

I’d love to see more classes, starting with a discussion on how handle weapons safely followed up with hands-on how to check weapons safely to ensure they are unloaded then use snap caps to show how to safely load them. After that, cleaning weapons, including initial checks to make sure the weapon is unloaded, then followed by proper disassembly, different types of cleaners and lubricants, cleaning, and reassembly.

2 Likes

I have been an instructor to co-workers who were afraid of guns and to co-workers who were curious about shooting weapons. It takes time, patience, and drilling of safety before you could ever coax someone to the range, but it was a lot of fun seeing their smiles.

4 Likes

There is a distinction between toys and firearms. I still treat both in the same way in regards to safety, but my “toys” are impractical fun guns, like my open competition pistol, my firearms are for defensive purposes.

Most don’t know what they desire in a firearm or the implications of certain types of firearms (a pistol grip only shotgun is NEVER a good idea, as an example) and a class would be great. I’ll roll it into my curriculum for a general firearms safety/knowledge class to teach at the space.

2 Likes

I was answering Dracos question, which was what do people think about having a show in tell. My opinion is I’m fine with it if the conditions I stated are met. That’s what I think. There wasn’t anything requesting rules and regulations info and I don’t really care what they are since it doesn’t change my opinion on how I think a show and tell should be held.

3 Likes

Personally I’m not much for safety theatre, it effectively tricks people into thinking that they are safer than they actually are. I put most trigger locks in the camp of theatre, as most on the market don’t keep anyone that wants to defeat them from defeating them.

I’d much rather explain, the first step to handling any firearm is ask if it is loaded before you even touch it. The next step is confirming yourself that it isn’t loaded. If you are not confident with the operation of the firearm ask someone who is to demonstrate how you check the firearm is cleared and unloaded. Then you personally do the same. At that point, you know the firearm is unloaded. But, you always still treat the firearm as loaded even with the knowledge that it is unloaded.

Let’s correct the bs that we all learn from tv rather than perpetuate it.

6 Likes