Resin SIG, First Meeting

Its finally here, a Resin casting SIG is being formed! If you are interested in resin casting we would love you to attend.

Agenda items are as follows:

A- electing a SIG Leader
B- discussing the various kinds of resins and their applications to projects.
C- discussing of what SIG rules we want to create (cure times and staying with your project, abandoned items on the cure shelf, cost of consumables)
D- discussing what kinds of classes people would like to see and finding teachers

I am aiming for the 28th at about 7 pm. Is there anyone who really REALLY wants to go where that time doesn’t work? I’d like to have a good turnout.

17 Likes

Works for me. I jotted down some stuff last week thinking about this.

Resin Types
POLYURETHANES
POLYESTER
Epoxy
Silicone
Plastics

Applications
Turning blanks
Jewelry
CosPlay/props
Miniatures
Industrial
Finishes (bar top/acrylic paintings/etc)

Mold making
Silicone
HDPE
Plastic
Putty

Additives
Pigments
Dyes
Metallics
Everything else

Shaping
Molds
Turning
Cutting

Finishing
Sanding
Polishing

Presentation
Stands
Mounting
Lights
Painting
Jewelry

Tools
Mixing (cups, stir sticks, gloves, etc)
Scale
Vacuum Chamber
Pressure Pot
Curing Shelf (3’x6’x2’)
Spin Casting?

4 Likes

Paging @maxk68

1 Like

That’s a fantastic list man, thanks! A great list to discuss for the 2nd agenda item.

I’m not sure if you will need molds but if you do, I have a lot of silicone molds and some ideas about donating/sharing what I have - I don’t think they would take very much space at all to store. I’m not sure if I will be able to make the first meeting but let me know if there is any interest.

4 Likes

Thanks Julie, yes That may be very beneficial to the SIG as we are starting with $50 and will have to amass things like pigments, inks, molds, etc. over time.

2 Likes

Exciting! I’ll be there

2 Likes

My biggest question would be what are the rules for resins with long cure times? For example ICE resin that takes 8-12 hours to dry and 3 days to cure.

1 Like

That’s a really great point. I will need to add a 4th agenda item for SIG rules. I know my Alumilite takes 24 hours to cure and needs a minimum of 4 hours in the pressure pot. I think maybe we need to set a rule like 3D fab where you have to stay on site if you are using a vacuum chamber or pressure pot. Alternatively, if you leave you set a note on the equipment of when you pressured/vacuumed it and a finish time so that if the finish time has passed, someone can remove the item and set it on the cure shelf.

1 Like

I’m definitely in to help in any way I can - I’ll be out of town on the 28th, but will catch up as I can on notes taken and bugging you/whomever ends up as chair.

2 Likes

Cool, I’ll be there

2 Likes

There is no need for a resin SIG, we have plastic committee, resins will fall under the plastic committee, there will be space at the new makerspace for Plastics and there will be room for resin equipment and more, I am hoping for a rotocaster in the new plastics committee

I promise that I’m not trying to get rid of you guys, but I remembered today that there is to be a new Plastics committee. Might this SIG fit right into that group, or do I misunderstand what that committee is to be for?

1 Like

You have a good point that we would end up there. Do we know who the committee chair will be for Plastics?

1 Like

I don’t know who the current committee chair would be. I mostly think that they would have more drying space.

Dude, that is not how SIGs work.

1 Like

I think what he means is that there’s no need for a resin SIG under Creative Arts and that we would be housed under the plastics committee. I need to ask around and see who will be the chair of plastics and see if we have any infrastructure in place yet for the committee and if we would exist as a SIG under them, or if we would just be some resin casting enthusiasts within the committee. I do see potential for a specific SIG personally.

2 Likes

From talk on other threads, I think Plastics is/will be a SIG under the Machine Shop Committee with dedicated floor space after expansion. @nicksilva would be the guy to talk to.

1 Like

That would be the future PIG SIG!

1 Like

I’ll let Nick chime in here as to whether the resin casting group would/should roll under plastics. It makes sense. Especially if they’re going to have the equipment like pressure pots and compressed air hoses.

2 Likes