Research enclosure for Dynatorch PC

I’d like to ask if anyone would care to do some leg work on sourcing (finding a link so we can order)an enclosure for the Dynatorch PC.

Currently it is only on the network VIA Wi-Fi, which I feel should stay that way just to ensure no feedback or noise can potentially get onto the physical network. This means we will need to ensure that Wi-Fi will work with said enclosure.

I’d like to have things as sealed as possible.
It does use Ethernet to communicate with the Dynatorch controller.
We need to be able to plug flash drives in if possible

Unfortunately I don’t remember the exact model we have.

:warning: **NOTE**: This category is **NOT** for discussion threads. Any "discussion" will be split out by one of the TALK Moderators to create a separate "discussion thread".

I’ll take up this, I’m assuming IP65 is reasonable?

I’d say so.

I may be missing the gist of the request, but if someone lasered or sawed up a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch acrylic and made a box to sit over it, would that meet your requirements?

Not quite, due to the compact nature, the prevention of dust from getting in said thing is the goal. A simple cover won’t prevent this.

In a perfect world it will look something like this.

An acrylic enclosure could easily be made air tight (and often are). But that one is definitely shinier :–) And buying it means you have it now, not when someone gets around to it, of course.

Notice i said in a perfect world, we will likely buy the battle ship gray non shiny ;(

I’d rather stick with metal, for heat dissapation

Is the PC fanless?

I would recommend a fanless setup like this. The processor should be plenty powerful in this example. The power supply is external so it’s easily replaced if something goes wrong. You bring your own memory, SSD, and software. The processor comes with the unit which is around $900. Add a USB adapter for Wi-Fi and you’re good to go. The box already has Ethernet so a bridge could also be used.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Box_PC/SYS-E100-9S.cfm
https://www.wiredzone.com/supermicro-servers-compact-embedded-processor-sys-e100-9s-41110491

I wouldn’t try to put a normal machine into an airtight enclosure. Computers generate a lot of heat and boxing it in completely is just asking for trouble. Computers designed to be fanless have heat sinks integrated into the enclosure to manage the heat.

My recommendation assumes the integrated Intel graphics will be sufficient. If the software needs a dedicated GPU then things get expensive and complicated fast…

2 Likes

One of the things I’ve enjoyed over the years are vents by gore.

They make running a pc in the box much easier

https://www.gore.com/products/categories/venting

Lol you dont like the vents?

Hahaha, it was a reply to the metal box post. I don’t think using a sealed box of any kind is a good answer. Filters like you posted could work but then those filters become consumables. Fanless is the best answer in my opinion.

Nope. Jim said it was pretty nasty in there already & it’s only been a few months.

We had a pretty good life with them surprisingly. On average they lasted 4 to 5 years in a product batching room that used chocolate powder and nonfat dry milk powder from bags into a powder funnel

Luke is hitting my points. It needs to be fanless and do not put it in a non climate controlled enclosure. You are creating a hot box and will cook it. I evaluate PC’s for digital signage and environmental testing is part of it. Even did testing for a client in a vacuum chamber at an environmental lab in Dallas.

If you know required specs for the software I can provide pricing for appropriate environment rated pcs.

1 Like

We’re looking at fanless options, but the PC doesn’t need too much power and is fairly underutilized as it is. It doesn’t have much airflow through it to begin with.
We actually had a fanless provided recently as a donation, but found it doesn’t power on and as a prototype unit wasn’t worth trying to find parts.

Feel free to price stuff out, but remember this is just running the machine. It isn’t meant for design or anything.

-Jim

Think outside the box?

Literally. Put the computer outside of the Metal Shop room and use a KVM to put the controls next to the Dynatorch.

1 Like

I’ve seen those on headlight retrofits and the likes of Pelican cases, but not for PC cases where airflow rather than pressure equalization or moisture exfiltration is the goal.