Request for sewing machine and serger class

I am interested in learning how to use the sewing machine and serger. Would anyone be willing to teach a sewing/serging class (preferably not during normal business hours)? I do not currently see one on the calendar.

1 Like

Paging @Kriskat30 or @dryad2b

In the roughly 10 days or more out timeframe, when might be good for you?

Although, I only do the sewing machine…

And, what project did you have in mind?

1 Like

I am available all this weekend as well as after 6 p.m. on Friday and Monday. My most immediate project involves making a knit cotton shirt and a pair of muslin pants. I suspect I will need to use the serger for the shirt.

1 Like

Did Chris get with you about the serger? I’m considering putting a sewing machine class on for Tuesday 7/10 at 7pm. Does that work for you? Or – did you already get what you need.

Teachers need to schedule 10 days out to have the class approved for reimbursement by the MakerSpace. Private lessons are of course up to you and the Instructor for timing and proper recompense.

2 Likes

I would be interested in that class. I’ve only really ever sewn on my own machine and I’m self-taught so learning the “correct” way to do things and the quirks of DMS’s machines would be helpful.

Edit: And also I’ve never used a serger before, so that would be a new skill. I love new skills! :smiley:

1 Like

Sergers: Sewing with knives!

Okay – I’ll put the class out there. Tuesday, 7/10, 7pm. I’m going to bill it as Sewing 101 – bring your own project, or make a tote bag. We’ll go over the machine, and then how-to on the projects.

2 Likes

And I’ll see if I’ve got some time to learn the serger a bit better before then, and maybe we can include it. I’ve used sergers, but I’ve only threaded this one once…

I am also interested in getting trained on the sewing machine and serger. Is there an estimate for when the class will show up on the calendar?

Its usually three days after its submitted, so if she submitted it today it should show up on Monday.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the information.

I am aware, dryad2b asked about my availability within a 10 day time period though so I answered accordingly.

Thanks, I will be there.