Replacing MiG spool

The MiG spool ran out and there are several options in the storage cabinet. I don’t see any of the wires that look “copper”, as the MiG wire did before. There are two spools that are the correct diameter (.035) but they look silver or aluminum. I put one of them on and ran a test, and nothing looks right in the “weld” created.

Q: Do we have additional MiG spools? If so, where are they? If we don’t, then we need to get replacement MiG wire… @metalshop

we do in the committee storage I think.

@Team_Metal_Shop is anyone around to swap it?

The silver ones are likely fluxcore, primarily for use with the Hobart. Fluxcore can be used without gas and is great in outdoor/ windy conditions or when welding dirty metal but leaves a layer of flux behind which needs to be chipped off with a welding hammer.

It also splatters a lot when in use. Welds look bad initially but that’s actually the hardened flux on top of the weld. Hammer/grind it off and a better-looking actual weld will be revealed.

Don’t know what happens if you use fluxcore AND gas, which is what it sounds like you did. Most likely is that you just end up wasting gas. You’ll still have the hardened flux to remove.

We should have another 33 or 44lb spool. Monday I will likely buy another & order Argon & Mix gas