Remote Surveillance of 3d printers

There’s only one Pi per printer, which handles both streaming and octoprint.

I’m not entirely sure what you’re asking for, though. Octoprint has no way of knowing whether the print has failed or not. You are still required to monitor your print to ensure it is not failing. Octoprint also does not analyze the file (beyond showing you a pretty render of the g-code) at all. Its job is simply to shuffle the g-code out the serial port and let the printer handle it. Thus, the event log will show a successful print whether it actually printed or just spaghetti’d, unless you manually cancel the print.

I was reading the logging.yaml section of this configuration page and got confused, thinking gcode errors would also be logged (due to what the page calls “the slicing subsection”). You can ignore that request.

Edit: Upon clicking the link, it turns out there’s also a (rather large) note that logging can only be configured in the dev branch! I think I need glasses.

UPDATE:

• The Banana Pis are configured as hosts for our 3D printers and are running really well. To my knowledge we have only had two failures directly related to the Pis - in both cases it was a result of the Pis being ‘bumped’ and the cables coming loose. We are looking into solutions that will help minimize these types of issues. (In the meantime, please use caution to not set anything on/near the Banana Pis or the cables connected to them.Thanks!)

• OctoPrint is configured and now being used to control the 3D Printers. We have it configured to allow “control” from the three PCs in the 3D Fab Room; and, to allow “viewing” of the OctoPrint GUI from any computer/device connected to our network (hard wired or WiFi).

• We also have the webcams enabled and viewable from anywhere with an Internet connection!

Don’t forget to report any issues (that cannot be resolved using the troubleshooting steps on the pages taped to the tables) to: [email protected]; as well as log the issue in the Maintenance Log book and add a note on the printer about the issue as outlined here: 3D Fab Equipment Maintenance and Repair Logs - UPDATE: Maintenance and repairs are handled via ticket system now ~ Thanks! :smile:

1 Like

Can this be Pinned at the top of the 3D Printers page?

Would be helpful.

Thanks!
Matt

1 Like

All I see is the ceiling…

1 Like

Matt… Were you wanting this entire thread pinned to the top of our category here on the forums, or were you referring to something else? If you were referring to having it pinned on the forums here, it may be best for me to just add it to the “about” post located here: About the 3D Fabrication category. Lemme know if that’s more or less what you meant. Thx! :smile:

LOL ~ Paul, I’m guessing you must have looked at a time when someone had all the covers open on the printers. They are usually closed. On that note though… If you find yourself walking around the 'Space at times and happen to notice that the covers are open, please feel free to close them - so others can see the prints (or at least the printers) - instead of just ceiling tile. :wink: Thx! :smile:

We might want to add a note to the we page “If you see the ceiling, please close my lid”

1 Like

I’ve actually considered putting a ‘warning’ on the lids that would be at eye view if/when open - that the world can see that they need to trim their nose hairs! hehehe…

Then I reconsidered… Because not only is it (obviously) not true, as it really just shows boring ceiling tiles when people forget to close them… But, also I don’t want anyone to mistakenly take it in the wrong way… I will likely put a note on the lids that will be viewable when the lids are open to remind members to please close the lids. :smile:

How about putting a PI-CAM on the Laser cutters and send the feeds to the same web page shown above so that people can watch what is going on the lasers, or know when it is available?

1 Like

I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to setting up a pair of extra webcams. Probably won’t be able to tie into the status info like the printers do, but a video stream is definitely possible (if not a bit tricky to set up due to laser shielding).

I’d recommend these, due to their low cost but reliable nature: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Webcam-C110-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00519B4YG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1432854830&sr=8-9&keywords=logitech+webcam

1 Like

OK, some updates. After the great harddriveocalypse, our VM running the overview page got wiped out. Unfortunately, I had no backups (yeah, I know), so I’ve been working to re-create it from scratch. Here’s the HEAVY WORK IN PROGRESS version:

Internal: http://192.168.200.100
External: http://dallasmakerspace.org/3dfab

Please let me know if things are broken on other browsers, I’m only testing with Firefox for now. I’m aware that 3 out of 4 webcams are down, but I have no control over that for the moment.

1 Like

External link seems to require removal of the trailing slash (/) to work. So http://dallasmakerspace.org/3dfab and the page loads (Windows 8; Chrome v44 and Windows 8; Opera v31) but only Righty displays a streaming webcam feed at the moment (the others show the webcam placeholder).

Thanks for working on getting this up and running again. I was a bit lost without the overview page to easily see the current utilization levels.

-the purring dork

Fixed the link. It’s just a pretty redirect to http://physical.dallasmakerspace.org:3333/

At this point I have all four status boxes working. The webcams seem to be a hardware thing, so someone (@william_petefish perhaps?) will need to poke the Banana Pis and see what the deal is.

Bug reports are welcome!

I’ll be poking things tomorrow anyway…

Probably will be there… I’ll update the ones that are not in use… and
work around to the others.

1 Like

I checked the USB camera connections on FarRighty this weekend and restarted it’s Pi and the webcam has been working for a few days if looking in Octoprint however it’s showing down and no details have updated on this summary page. There’s also never any details for Farlefty and Lefty and yet Righty is bang on with webcam and status information!

I’d be willing to help with this further.

1 Like

I just saw somebody playing with Lefty… that’s creepy.

I tried the page on my phone and it doesn’t appear to work on Chrome but does work on Safari (iOS obviously).

Edit: just trying to help by providing more data :wink:

1 Like

I’m the one who originally set up the status page. I’ve since returned to school in NY, and my membership has lapsed. I don’t have the ability to remotely access any of the systems anymore, so I can’t fix anything myself. That said, I have an idea of what the missing status info might be. If the versions of Octoprint have been updated, the data access APIs changed at a certain point. I had updated one of the 4 access scripts (righty, if memory serves), and left the others alone since they all had the older version of Octoprint. If you want to dig into the code (it’s mostly PHP), talk to @bscharff to get credentials to the web server that’s hosting that page. It should be resonably straightforward to update the other three printers status scrapers to the new API (mostly copy-pasting, and grabbing the access keys from the octoprint settings page).

5 Likes

Ha! I knew Righty was special! For various reasons, other members have made changes on the different Banana Pis; and, as a result, the other three printers each have slightly different configurations - which is not good for a production environment. I have been planning on creating backups of all four (in-case something needs to be rolled back), then using the image from Righty as a base for all four of the PolyPrinters. I ordered some SD Cards last week, and expect them to arrive tomorrow. I’ll post an update on this thread once all four are configured the same (to match Righty - since Righty is definitely the most stable of them all! :slight_smile: )

Thanks Sean! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I updated the code for the 3D Printer Status Overview page. Now all the ‘status’ messages and video streams are working for the four PolyPrinter 3D printers.

While connected to the internal wifi at Dallas Makerspace, go to:
http://192.168.200.100

While connected to the Internet from any other connection, go to:
http://dallasmakerspace.org/3dfab

I’ve also done some other work on the Pi’s… I expect to have all four using the same base image by the end of the week.

I’ll post another update once I’m done with all four…

Thanks!
:slight_smile:

ps: Please remember to continue reporting any issues (in 3D Fab - or anywhere else at the 'Space) via our new ticket system at: https://dallasmakerspace.org/helpdesk. Thanks! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That lion is going to miss its camera.

1 Like