Reloading Ammo at the space

Are we allowed to reload ammo at the space? If so can we get a class on it. I just got me an AR-15 and have a feeling Reloading my benefit me.

No not at this time. It is prohibited.

To expand… it’s prohibited by the Fire Marshal.

1 Like

Well that Sucks. What about cleaning a gun at the space is that allowed?

Yes, talk with the chair of Hatcher’s. They run classes on things like that.

I’d err on the side of caution and bring the weapon inside a carry case. Please be sure it’s unloaded before entering the building. While some may bristle at that, we have folks here at DMS that are very uncomfortable around weapons so those of us that have them need to take extra precautions on being excellent stewards of or hobby.

Rodger that. I know how to clean weapons I just have a black powder that need a little more attention.

If the barrel is particularly dirty, pick up some of this:

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/solvents-degreasers/bore-cleaning-paste/j-b-non-embedding-bore-cleaning-compound-prod1160.aspx

We’re not doing gunsmithing or repairs at DMS at this point as there are disagreements on what can and can’t be done and the BoD doesn’t want to run afoul of ATF regulations. So, if your rifle/gun is beyond that, talk to the chair.

it would just be a cleaning nothing more.

You can find the Dallas Makerspace’s Firearms Policy here: https://dallasmakerspace.org/w/images/e/e1/Dallas_Makerspace_Policy_on_Working_on_Firearms-20180618.pdf

Reloading is strictly prohibited. Firearm disassembly and assembly are prohibited.

All work on firearms, as defined by Dallas Makerspace, is STRICTLY PROHIBITED unless there is a specific policy exemption listed.

Per several board members, firearm cleaning is allowed at the space and any disassembly/assembly required for cleaning is also allowed. We ask that you do not bring any ammo of any kind when cleaning. Hatcher’s Armory does have some cleaning supplies available. You may not replace any part or change anything on the firearm, this includes any refinishing. However, you may clean, brush and lubricate the firearm.

1 Like

Again: All work on firearms, as defined by Dallas Makerspace, is STRICTLY PROHIBITED unless there is a specific policy exemption listed.

Directors are NOT allowed to change the rules on the fly, or skirt around them. If you disassemble your gun to clean it, and a director sees it, they have a duty to immediately remove you from the premises.

Again, regardless of whatever you may believe, the rule is set in stone and is available in its entirety at https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies

1 Like

Sorry Luke, but work is not defined. Referring to a policy that references work that doesn’t define it does not fly. Also, cleaning is not work.

1 Like

Further, a director has no duty to do as you described.

Also there is no assembly definition. This would be needed to define other parts of the policy

Suggest you scrap the knee jerk policy and try again. It is poorly thought out, convoluted and even worsely defined.

1 Like

We do have a new policy that we have been drafting that may help resolve all of this. I need to go through it again and bring it to the board.

1 Like

That sounds like a perfect resolution I will have no issue voting in favor of.

I’d really like to have where we can say we can “Make/build Furniture”.

Grips, fore grips, hand guards, bipods, slings. Things similar to that.

In an ideal world, I’d love to do other items but I can understand the “ramifications“

1 Like

“bolt on” accessories will be permitted under the ruleset we’re working on. The issue that the ATF apparently had was the modification of firearms and more permanently affixed items ie barrels and receivers/slides and frames.

No frame stippling classes, but making a stock or handguards or rail attachments would be permitted.

At this time, the current rule set is in effect. @Photomancer could speak more on what the board currently allows, but we are working to clarify and give examples of things that can and cannot be done at DMS.

Given that the ATF is a federal agency that has a tendency to vastly overstep their legal bounds on numerous occasions, and it is not the individual who will get in trouble, but the board, I understand the the measures to prohibit work on firearms, however that is defined. As the laws on the subject are many shades of gray of what is allowed and not allowed, unless you have a competent and experienced legal team, you don’t want to be messing with it.

We are working to define the rules in the interim and work towards a better set of policies that set black and white limits on what is and what is not allowed. We will be posting an updated rule set and seek comments from members on that ruleset.

Make no mistake, the ATF is a collection of mafia-esque goons that do as they please and will shoot your dog for no reason (possibly even set your house on fire). There is no love, admiration, respect, or professional courtesy I will extend.

1 Like

The current rules allow for making furniture, but it must be stripped off the before entering DMS to work on it.

2 Likes

Sizing, fitting and assembly can be done out in your vehicle - I think.