Questions for candidates

OK, here’s a question. Hope it’s not too late.

If the DMS board only had 3 seats, which two of this year’s candidates would you want in the other seats?

1 Like

David Kessinger and Kris Anderson

4 Likes

So I got some time to answer a few more questions and I think I found them all. If a mod wants to move my answers to another thread I have no objection. Hope I got them all.

I think at some point we need an employee and possibly several employees. Ideally It would be a shop person that handles maintenance on the tools, ordering the supplies and teaching the basic entry classes for the “red” tools. This person would make around $45K - $50K with Health Insurance depending on experience. Or we could think about our first employee being a part time grant writer that works to get grants so we can have the Shop employee. This would take more discussion with the rest of the board when that time comes.

David: Helpful, Experienced, Knowledgeable
Alex: N/A
Kris: Tactful, Resourceful, Composed
Luke: straight forward, Committed, dependable.
Mitch: Cooperative, friendly, inventive
Robert: Confident, Ambitious, Reliable
Walter: Tenacious, Resolute, Available
Steve: Thoughtful, Resourceful, Genuine
Brian: Dedicated, Focused, Supportive
David G: kind, smart, innovative

I don’t think adding more board members is the answer. I think pushing things down to the Committees more has been the plan for some time. Committee chairs have 99% control over their areas. I talked a bit about this in the Meet and great that its a delicate balance. If a chair doesn’t do enough or does too much, when does the board step in? It is no secret that I think there are some committee areas that are too cluttered and while I have tried talking to the chairs about cleaning up those areas it is ultimately their call. There have been chairs that have done things like throw out a tube bender, a shelf or other things that I don’t necessarily agree with but again its ultimately their call.

I mentioned in the Meet and Great that I do believe the bylaws need revised as a whole, not piecemeal. I think someone from the board should be involved but a SIG is really what it should be. They should do it over the year and have it reviewed by a lawyer at major stages. However it is decided I think a lawyer should be involved at some stage of the process.

I will just say this. It all comes down to communication and that is something as a whole that the space needs to work on.

Drive by criticism (as its colloquially known) is not productive and people should offer to help instead of just telling someone how they should do something. Hiring someone shouldn’t be considered a bad option but it also shouldn’t be the first option. Group projects are great and I wish we had more of them, but in the recent past it comes down to a key volunteer doing a lot of the work. Lastly not every job around the space needs to have a bunch of people.

As for my engagement style…I will ask for help and I will offer help when I can. If I think someone is good for something I will let them know that another person might want their help, but I try not to put any pressure on anyone as it’s their volunteer time.

Do I think people should emulate me? I don’t know. As long as they are courteous and considerate of people we should be fine.

Cop out: I will do my best for the space and will work whoever the membership decides.

Hope that’s all of them.

1 Like