[Question] Blasting and Painting/Powder Coating

Hey all, I’m brand new here. One of my passions for a few years now has been tinkering with bicycles. I love finding old bikes, cleaning them up, and making them functional again.

I found a project bike a few years ago with some potential, but the previous owner had done something awful to the frame that I’m trying to undo. It looks like a botched rattle can paint job with a matte finish. It’s not a nice frame, but it’s a workable frame. Either way, I see it as a blank canvas.

I am completely new to blasting and painting. On the wiki I saw that there is a blasting cabinet. If anyone has any expertise on stripping (preferably without the use of nasty chemicals), and/or painting I could use some handholding.

I was also curious if there was a possibility of powder coating at DMS. I don’t know the first thing about it, but it seems like an interesting option for a beater bike.

Any help for the n00b would be appreciated.

I don’t really have too many answers for you, just some info:

As far as blasting goes, the sand blasting cabinet we have is probably too small to fit a full frame in. I know there’s a small blaster (think sand pail) that could potentially do it outside. I’m not sure how functional it currently is, but cleanup would be something to keep in mind if used.

There’s some talk about building a powder coating cabinet (see here: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/powder-coating-at-the-space/1752/12), but currently we don’t have that ability. There’s definitely interest by multiple people, so it’s worth watching and potentially collaborating with them.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I’d love to help with the powder coating cabinet, but my knowledge in that area is close to none.

I guess I’ll have to bring up the frame to see if it’ll fit in the blasting cabinet. If not, I may have to find someone who knows something about what medium to use and how to keep it contained for cleanup outside.

I’ve seen the sand blaster in the metal shop. Unless you are riding one of those micro bikes popular with some teens a few years ago, it isn’t going to fit in our sand blaster in one piece. It’s just a regular-sized, stand-up sand blaster.

I think this is what we have: http://www.harborfreight.com/40-lb-capacity-floor-blast-cabinet-68893.html

Can also take your chances on the wiki tool page being up to date: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Tools

I’ll add to the knowledge,
Sand blasting small parts in our blasting cabinet is super easy. Just turn on the Vacuum and step on the foot petal. But, @Kentamanos is correct there is almost no chance that you can fit your bike frame in the machine.

I thought the bucket sand blaster was owned by a member that just moved and left DMS. So to the best of my knowledge that is a no go. I could be incorrect though.

Painting sand blasted metal is very easy, the paint really sticks well. I just blasted and painted some out door furniture and it came out amazing. I wouldn’t aim for a high gloss finish, but I’m sure with the correct prep it would be accomplishable.

So, don’t be scared to just walk up and try the sand blaster, it is easy. One warning, just don’t shoot the window, it makes it hazy and hard to see through. You will see this when you try and use it.

Thanks, @Nick.

My bike is fully disassembled, and even the forks are off. I might just bring it all up and see if I can fit it in the blaster. With those dimensions, it looks like I can at least fit the forks and see how easy it will be to clean that paint off.

Do I need to bring my own blasting media/sand? If so, where is the best place to find some?

1 Like

the blasting media is provided by the metal shop. It runs $10 for a 50 pound bag or something like that, so if you feel inclined to help support the tool growth of metal shop consider making a donation for what you use. They can definitely use the funds. I bet you could do the forks in the booth. I’m also in support of getting a blaster that we can use outside for blasting of larger parts. I’m not sure the cost of a portable unit but, I would chip in $50 for one as I have some larger blasting that I need to do. If they are cheap I’m sure we could raise the funds for it with out going to the board. I think Metal shop has a long list of items already on the agenda for the next board meeting so piling on is probably not a good idea.

Just auto, foundry and small ops item so far: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors_Meeting_20150322

This is the media in there now http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200578196_200578196. Just make sure you have the shop vac on while blasting.

-Alex

Thanks to everyone for all the info!

This is a huge step towards refreshing this frame. I’ll probably bring it up to the space sometime next week and see what I can do. I’ll definitely donate some cash to the fund, since I have no idea how much media I’ll use before I get it done.

The sand and pail blaster belonged to Gerik with the Durango, who indeed just moved to Killeen or Tyler or something.

The blasting cabinet in the metal shop is totally cool for small parts, but it certainly won’t fit a bike frame. Maybe a fuel tank at most.