Procedure for Non-Member classes?

What is the procedure for hosting “classes” that include non-members?

To whit …

In this particular case, David @Photomancer was generous with his time and processed a lot of them in with waivers.

I suggest that if anyone conducts a class that allows non-members, then there should be a requirement for having a specific person designated for signing in non-members.

4 Likes

You have to have a DMS member as a host and in that capacity one class that had 80 people the teacher was that member and in the second class that had 75 registered with a guest speaker/teacher I was the host. To facilitate getting guests to sign our waiver, we put one of the kiosks in the room itself. But to your point, yes, David was very generous with his time to help folks sign in.

I am recommending a 2nd member as the “greeter” because the instructor can’t possibly host 75 people while they are trying to get set up and organized.

Nor make sure that all guests have signed the waiver!

I understood your meaning but if you host and set up 30 minutes early it can be managed. A second person would make it easier indeed.

Beware the law of unintended consequences. If that becomes a requirement, look forward to lots of members-only classes…

2 Likes

Is there a way to make waiver signing app available online at DMS.org? Fill out online before day of class, then bring printout with you? Would this be problematic for anything other than technology reasons?

A small class that has just a couple non-members attend could likely be handled by the host. However, something that allows a couple dozen non-members is clearly going to need an additional greeter.

1 Like

I don’t think this has changed since this thread:

in short, not a technology problem.

1 Like

That’s right…now I remember.

Still…wondering if Smart Waiver hasn’t provided for a solution since then (ID verification via credit card, etc.) , or if we can;t brainstorm something. Things have changed and we are (again) seeing growth related challenges we just haven’t encountered before. If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a thousand times: “think outside the kiosk!”

1 Like

Dumb question but why do they need to sign a waiver if they’re not going into the shop areas where bad things can happen to them?

Because we offer full tours to non members after class is over to try to convert them to actual members. It works.
I know, because I came to an EVA class for non-members, Kris gave me a tour and I joined less than 24 hours.

Thanks again for that first tour by the way @Kriskat30 !

5 Likes

Just a few examples:

1. Slip and fall anywhere
  2. Cut hand in CA, leather working, vinyl picking with Exacto knife, mat cutting
  3. Burn or shock in Electronics,
  4. Burn in CA from various hot tools there
  5. Sewing machine needle through finger
  6. Smashed finger when leather working from hammers or arbor
  7. Chemicals in the eyes in 3D Fab or in CA
  8. Fiberglass dust in the eyes or inhaled when milling a PCB in Electronics or CA
  9. Allergic reaction to some chemicals, paint or material used in any of the committee areas

Those are just a few that come to mind really fast. Then there’s the people that want to “just show them the shop” and something happens out there.

Does a waiver provide absolute protection? No, but the waiver gives DMS at least some defense of hold harmless and assumption of risk by the other person.

1 Like

Got it. I spaced about the after class tours thing and was picturing generic lecture hall then out the door. Its been a long day fighting with Auto CAD :confused:

1 Like

0 worries here @MrsMoose . Just also wanted to add that non-member classes are a great recruiting tool. I’d been putting off coming for a tour, then the class happened and I was hooked in.

3 Likes