Postal rate increase 2019-Jan-27

For those of you who still use those, first class postage goes from 50 to 55 cents on January 27.

1 Like

The extra 5 cents must be a storage fee. It seems like it takes longer and longer to get mailed delivered nowadays.

5 Likes

Or a redelivery fee. Some mail goes to the next street or block.

2 Likes

Hey buy the forever stamps now at 50 cents. Save 5% that a 10% rate of return. If you use them over the next two years your still making about 5% … better Treasuries.

4 Likes

They should just put glue on the back of a dollar bill already :grin:

2 Likes

When it went up to 25 cents I was tempted to just glue quarters to my bills that I paid by paper check. :smiley:

For awhile, my brother and I protested by using 1 cent stamps to make up to the full amount. We eventually gave up because envelopes were not big enough…

1 Like

Mailed a tax return with 1c stamps around 20 years ago because that was all the post office had left. I just covered the envelop in them to make sure it was enough. I think that was the last time I actually mailed a letter.

1 Like

Stamp talk always makes me think of the movie Fargo and the sub-plot of Norm submitting a Mallard painting to be used on a stamp.

“Whenever they raise the postage people need the little stamps, when they’re stuck with a bunch of the old ones!” -Marge Gundersen

And for further nerdity: the other painters mentioned by Norm are really people who got their paintings on stamps.

I’ve taken this off-topic thread further off-topic. I apologize.

1 Like

Buy your forever stamps now!