Possible pick and place project

@Lampy @artg_dms

This project design might serve for the hand outs and pick and place demonstration.

http://hackaday.com/2016/06/26/i-can-reflow-merit-badge/

3 Likes

I would be interested in ordering some boards and a couple reels of parts. This is the very first circuit I built in Eagle on the lab pc.

2 Likes

There are a number of class possibilities here:

Some level of basic ckt dsgn
PCB layout sftwr & brd odering
PnP setup/brd run

The PnP was donated over a year ago and I know of only one person to have successfully use the PnP:

The PnP takes up a fair amount space in the E Lab. It needs to see more use and a better way to store it when not being used.

If no one is willing/interested in teaching others how to use it, the PnP may need to find a new home.

3 Likes

I concur Art, but I view the PnP as Electronics version of the HAAS. It looks really cool during tours and gets people to join, and once they realize how much works goes into using it, the interest in using it fades away. I really liked Ken’s idea of using the pick and place to produce some kind of hand out doo dad for Open House and other other public events Like the recent thing at UTA.

1 Like

Yes, let’s videotape it doing it’s thing the one time it’s used. :wink:

3 Likes

We have yet to have a class on using it yet. But I think knowing Eagle or some schematic software would be a pre-req. I would love to learn how to design and produce a simple surface mount PCB and populate it.

This tool is a waste of time to produce one (or even three or four) PCB’s. The cost of the part reels, the time to get it set-up and tuned mean that this is for making dozens, perhaps hundreds of populated boards. It is unlikely it will see more then one or two uses per year. But it will generate a lot of interest and member revenue (like the HAAS and the MultiCAM) if we can have demonstrations of it working at the open house.

I think if we made some merit badge with a few through-hole components so we can have learn to solder workshops during open house like we had a while ago (the RGB LED robots).

Funny you bring that up. Remember “…and a ton of useless SMD parts maybe?”?

yeah yeah I said that, I’m sure they were useful to somebody, but not the majority of the members. I knew there were thousands of dollars of SMD parts but they needed to be organized that’s the problem.

True. However “junk” parts can be used for training people how solder. Practice till you get it right. Throw practice parts away and move on to the real deal. Saves $$$ - especially if the “practice parts” are free.

1 Like

Sure, we could have “Learn how to hand place 0603 parts” lol

1 Like

If you’re motivated enough, you can hand solder them:

4 Likes

Chug 1 Jolt Cola before proceeding!

:cold_sweat:

1 Like

So does anyone know how to use the pnp machine? I’m interested in learning how to use it.

I don’t know about useless a small collection of commonly used SMD parts are good to have around to tinker with, create robotics, or build 8bit boards.

Not sure what your point is though by commenting on the BBS9000 Terminal. Could you elaborate?

In that thread, Mitch proposed moving the museum into electronics after making room by trashing SMD parts.

And even more then just 0403 resistors can be hand soldered…

1 Like

ok… makes sense now.