Possible Cutting Board Class

I’ve had a few people ask me to teach a cutting board class when I’ve been working on boards. I wanted to see if this was something people are interested in and get thoughts on logistics. Would have to complete the woodshop basics course prior to enrolling for this class.
If you are interested give me your thoughts on how you would want to see the class handled.
End-grain versus Edge grain: Edge grain just requires one glue up. End grain requires a second glue up and therefore woudl require an extra class.
Session 1- Squaring up stock, cutting to size, layout, and glue-up. I would come back the next day to remove the clamps and store the wood. People would have the option to do finishing sanding on their own or we can have another sessions on finishing. This is if we doing edge-grain.
Session 2- If doing an endgrain we will plane/sand the initial glue-up, then make the new cuts and do the secondary glue up. If edge grain we can do finishing in this class. If doing end-grain we would need to get together for a 3rd session to do finishing.
Wood options- I would think I would have two options, bring your own wood, or pre-pay and I’ll pick up wood from Central Hardwoods for anyone interested.
Give me your thoughts. I attached a few pictures, showing an edge grain board and a few end grain.

12 Likes

My wife and I would be interested.

Our preference would be end-grain, and for you to make suggestions about wood types and allow us to purchase our own for taste and color etc.

2 Likes

Yes, and end grain… Specifically, I would like to make a “cutting board” large enough to fit a smoked brisket, and with room on the edges for handles. My plan is to use the induction forge to make the handles that I’ll bolt on after.

3 Likes

I would also be interested in making some end-grain cutting boards.

1 Like

I’d be interested as well- in both options. Thanks!

1 Like

+1 for an end grain cutting board.

2 Likes

I’d love either style. It would be more convenient if you were able to pick up the wood and I prepay.
For my schedule, it would have to be a Friday day or weekend.

1 Like

I would be interested, particularly in an end grain board.

I didn’t realize we were allowed to plane end grain. That’s good to know.

No planing end grain. But we can use the drum sander.

3 Likes

I’d be interested in either. Having no good reference for the cost of good wood, how much would the wood for something like the checkerboard one run someone?

The way I am currently thinking/planning will be under $30 of wood per person. It would make an 18"x12"x1.5" board.
To simplify the first time through class (it will be my first time teaching at DMS) I am thinking of an end grain maple board with a walnut border. I can prep the wood some before class and know we are all working with the same size and quality of wood.
If it goes well I’ll do another class on a checkerboard style.

10 Likes

:+1: I actually prefer what you’re describing over the checkboard it was just the easier one to describe :slight_smile: and the one I see a lot of people attempting around the space. Thanks for the info

2 Likes

I’m alright not doing an End Grain if it’s more efficient to use the planer.

1 Like

Interested in this class also. I would be open to either, or both.

I am discussing logistics with a few seasoned woodshop members and will be posting the class once I have the details nailed down. To make this easier on me the first time around I am going to buy all the wood and have class members pay me back. It will be end grain and we will all make a board like the below picture. Once I have taught the class cycle and feel more comfortable with the flow of the class I will open up another series to do more custom designs.

9 Likes

Love it, and will definitely be in attendance if at all possible.

1 Like

Two more people interested. You could have a recurring series.

1 Like

You’ll still use the jointer and planer on the length of your boards, then glue up, then cut to the end-grain, the glue those up, then drum sand. It’s really only 2 extra steps for end-grain.

1 Like

+1 for this option. Thank you for offering to teach this!

1 Like

I want to take the class! If possible please don’t schedule it between June 28 and mid-July, unless you do another soon after.