Please remember to be excellent and collect the dust

This was the state of the new powermatic table saw when I was using it.
I don’t think this is 18" worth of an acrylic cut.

5 Likes

Could you tell if there was good suction coming from the collector opening in the back? With it on did it look like it was pulling any of that dust out?

1 Like

Once I got the bulk out I tested it and it sucks through just fine.

The unit was so full before hand that dust was overflowing from the wheel area just in front of the blade.

Thank you.

Assuming this from someone using the saw with the dust collector turned off?

That seems like an awful lot for just forgetting to turn it on. Either the dust collection is and has been full all weekend or its not doing an adequate job sucking it out. We should probably keep an eye on it, much like the joiner, and see if starts to fill the cabinet again.

2 Likes

Any ideas when the new dust collection system will be going live? I though the new offering was going to have automatic blast gates.

1 Like

New system is going in with the move.

2 Likes

Dust issues in woodshop are and have been an ongoing, chronic problem for years. This is partially due to our dust collectors not being able to provide adequate CFM when wood shop is in full use. Currently, by the time the third blast gate is opened on either bus, NO dust port on any machine is getting minimum CFM delivered for effective dust collection/control.

But it is mostly due to the far too many complacent, lazy, and inconsiderate wood shop users who can’t be bothered to: turn on dust collection system when making dust; open appropriate blast gate when making dust; close blast gate when finished making dust; empty collection drums and vacuums before they get full; and clean inside machines and collection tubing when needed to ensure they are not clogged.

AFAIK, there is no actual date planned, currently…maybe there is…@Mrksls2: is there a date scheduled? It obviously needs to happen in coordination with overall expansion schedule, but I assume: 1) we want Felder to install the system before tools are moved to new locations; and 2) they will need some amount of lead time to plan/schedule

1 Like

Semi related: last Wednesday when I was in at my usual late madman hours I tried to empty the dust collector and someone stopped me, saying the dust collector had been emptied “just two hours before” and that i shouldn’t bother checking. not sure what that was all about.

after the person left i checked the dust collector anyway. it was the fullest i had seen it in a while.

Not sure what miscommunication might have happened but it was a little weird for someone to willfully prevent me from even checking the thing shrug. If it happens again i’ll just forge ahead and check it in front of the person anyway.

edit: to clarify the person wasn’t actively using the dust collector or even working on anything. they were actually just packing up a project at that moment.

2 Likes

so like 2020?