Please add this to Woodshop Basics

And lets not forget the woodshop basics teacher who cut part of their thumb off on a table saw…

1 Like

You mean we need a rule against Woodworking Under the Influence?

@Team_Moderators please lock this thread. It’s apparently woodshop’s week to be complained about by people who don’t participate in the committee, and if they have issues, they can come to a meeting or contact @Azalaket

3 Likes

I feel perfectly in the right to point out where Woodshop negligence effects committees that I do work with on a DAILY basis.

3 Likes

@StanSimmons thanks for bringing this up. I’ll mention it to the instructors, but no promises that members will abide. Perhaps infrastructure should make informative signs that remind ALL members to keep the doors closed.

6 Likes

In the last 3 weeks, I’ve watched you and @wandrson get into gleeful arguments about how other committees choose to operate their areas and operations.

First, three weeks ago, the two of you decided that it was time to abuse the Fired Arts committee. Then, the following week, it was time for more rampant speculation and accusations of God-knows-what against the Laser committee.

This week, apparently you’ve decided to interject your opinions and complaints about woodshop.

You’re like the biddies on the HOA board that like to drag board meetings on for hour after hour complaining about the color of the flowers that people pick to put in their flowerbox out front.

Seriously, if you have a complaint about the committee, feel free to bring it to a committee meeting.

If you feel that our training program is lacking, write up a replacement.

Barring that, go make something.

Given that Stan’s issue has been addressed, I’ll reiterate my ask for @Team_Moderators to lock this thread. There’s nowhere to go but down from here.

4 Likes

Yeah… about that… I’ve made signs, but I’m convinced that Makers make, not read. :wink:

2 Likes

How about a technical solution?

Many access control doors feature a sensor that, if disconnected (the door being opened for more than a predefined amount of time) triggers a siren or strobe or both.

How about we retrofit that in, thereby providing incentive to keep the door shut?

6 Likes

I wish we could retrofit some common sense in to some of our members…

4 Likes

Common sense is uncommon.

3 Likes

Stan’s point, I think, is to reinforce the idea at several contact points with makers. Of course, if no one reads a sign, its not likely she or he will remember a, “oh, by the way…don’t forget.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow: How about engaging others who do have the common sense and remind them that if you see the doors open and you don’t see anyone around, shut the overhead. Yet another point of contact…

How about granting all badges access to the roll up door reader? Then members can roll the lumber cart out, close the door while loading it, and open it back up when they are ready to roll back up the ramp. Or if fetching a vehicle to (un)load or bring into the automotive bay, they can walk out the man door and only open the bay when they are at the bottom of the ramp.

All badges currently have access to the roll up door reader as far as I know?

1 Like

At one point, it was select members of infrastructure and handicapped members only. If it was changed, I’m guessing most of membership doesn’t know.

That would require the lumber cart not be sitting in Pallet Storage with an engine on top of it.

2 Likes

It wouldn’t have an engine living on it if it wasn’t stored in the automotive bays…

The old door control system consists of two separate Chinese door controllers the handle 4 doors each, and don’t talk to each other. The primary system has 4 doors, front, back, two hallway, and has all active members on it. The other one has server room, electrical room, and garage door.

Allen, Luke O. and Thomas created a beta system that can handle 7 doors. It has been running concurrently, in parallel, with the old system for several months and allows all active members thru the garage door.

This does NOT mean that the garage door should be used as a “man door.” Every time the garage door gets opened we dump a huge amount of air conditioning out onto the parking lot.

1 Like

There’s a loading bay? I carried my plywood through the front doors!

But they were manageable this time.

1 Like

Yes around back. If you go out the back man door, you can have an idea of where to pull in. Just please be sure to unload as quickly as possible to keep the roll up door closed. Electricity is one of our major monthly expenses.

2 Likes

@Sharic2255 LOL!! how deep did you look to find a 2 year old thread?

And yes, easier thru the rear garage entry, lol.

1 Like