Plastics Area layout and tools

From our committee meeting. This is a proposed initial layout of the area adjacent to the current machine shop area as well as a list of common tools necessary to work plastics. We will not be limited to plastics - rather most all composite materials. Exactly what will be determined based on what creates toxic dust. The list of tools is simply a list of common tools. Some are already available in the machine shop and woodshop. It is requested that we do not duplicate tools that are already available (Table saw and drill press being the obvious ones). The chop saw as shown would be on a folding contractor saw stand and would be for cutting down rods and square stock. Sheet stock would require a large saw and the Delta saw in the woodshop has been designated for cutting plastics when used with the correct blade.

More will be discussed in the next Machine Shop Meeting and the space will be formally requested at the next BoD meeting. Wiki pages will be created as required for a Special Interest Group.

Capture

DRILL / DRILLPRESS
HACKSAW / JIGSAW
TABLESAW
BANDSAW
ROUTER & TABLE
DUST COLLECTOR

PIPE CLAMPS
HEATGUN
POLISHING TORCH
Plastics adhesives
Plastics Polishing compounds

NEARBY TOOLS:
machine shop
lasers

6 Likes

Suggestions : plastic shear and edge beveler.

2 Likes

please send us links to these items.

2 Likes

After just a couple minutes of looking, all the plastic shears I could find are for “flexible plastic”. This might be suitable for vacuum-forming material. Was that what you had in mind?

Examples:

12 inch shear (chopper)

25-inch guillotine shear

Yes, exactly. A shear would mesh nicely with Laser for cutting dual-layer engraveable plastics. An edge beveler would provide nice finishing touches on projects:

https://www.johnsonplastics.com/quality-one-industrial-11-64-beveler

Of course, that’s a “Cadillac” but you get the gist.

Nick, is it safe for me to assume that Plastics’ safety glasses policy will be the same as machine shop? If you’re in the area, you need glasses …

1 Like

If this happens???

Yes absolutely since we will use/support machining tools such as a router and bandsaw, etc. cheers

1 Like

“Plastics” will be treated like a SIG under Machine Shop.* All safety rules, clean-up, and policies will apply. I’m sure there will be some special rules (material restrictions, tool restrictions - materials and use by minors, etc. Machine Shop already does plastics work - we’ll just be getting some specialized tools, dedicated workspace, and expanding the scope of what can be done.

Go to be really exciting, Plastics has been talked about for years. I’m sure @Chris_Wischkowsky will bring composites to the fore!

1 Like

Do you want me to set up a Talk sub-category? If so, do you want it called Plastics, or Composites? Or Plastics & Composites?

I think &\ composites would be best. I’ll set up a wiki page when I get a chance. Cheers

1 Like

A vacuum pump for composites and oven for curing would be good too.

Setting up a table like the one in the video makes a lot of sense too.

2 Likes

@JRay … do you hear that??

I probably have a vacuum pump to give to the cause.

2 Likes

Jeff is trying to get rid of a big one …

Lol. Big is relative. I probably have several smaller 6 cfm pumps.

Big.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/need-a-vacuum-plus-15/39319

The oven me and chuck placed into metal shop is perfect for composites curing (that’s the reason we bought it).

It even has a port hole for vacuum lines.

1 Like

I know this is off topic, but I want to thank you for enabling me to travel down this particular youtube rabbit hole. That guy’s enthusiasm is addictive, and that plane is…interesting. Here’s the moment of truth, to save all the rest of you the time to find it…

PS would love to see this kind of composite work happening here, and would love even more to learn to do some of it myself…

1 Like

Is this the vacuum-former the Space already owns? I ask because it sounds like I need to send Capt (currently teaching vacuum former) to the Machine Shop meeting.

2 Likes