Pants class -- surprises pleasant and un-

First surprise – the class made! I have trouble picking a topic that makes. I realize day and time make a huge difference, but it’s virtually impossible to receive input on that subject.

The unpleasant surprises:
What happened to the fifth machine? There was an extra older-model Janome Magnolia there, but it was missing the bobbin cover. Plus, one of the newer machines was missing the bobbin cover.
At one point, some one color-coded all the boxes that are supposed to go with the sewing machines. Today it looked like there had been a big squirrel party with the boxes. Major mismatches between the box and the items therein. Somebody didn’t realize that the controller feet and the power cords are supposed to go in the box that matches the machine, and had put them with the machines in a couple of cases.
And – when is the next reorganization of the room planned? (I realize that this is moot if the expansion happens.) I went to move the rolling cabinet out to my classroom, and it was so blocked in that I couldn’t get it out.

1 Like

This needs a meme… :rofl:
This seems like a good starting point:

3 Likes

I was all set to go to this class but it was on a day that I couldn’t make it. Will there be a repeat?

1 Like

If this class is held again would it be helpful for people that have machines to bring their own from home? I’m not sure if that’d be good or make things weirder.

1 Like

Even with an expansion, this isn’t moot. Best case, the facility next door isn’t available to us for at least three months; and that’s when we would start the not-yet-determined build out. So it will be many months before an expansion would change anything.

Sure! I’m all up for things that work!

I’ll try to start putting my Talk thing on the classes, and post pre-class on Talk. The thing is – if you’re bringing your own machine, you don’t need to register. The class size is determined by the number of machines we’ve got, not the number of students. So (for my classes, at least), you can just come. It would be nice if such a person contacted me on Talk, because it would indeed be awkward if 15 people showed up with their own machine.

3 Likes

Eh, I’m quite happy to not tote my machine around. Mainly I was curious about the protocol. Thanks!

1 Like

Beth do the boxes need to be redone or did you do that?

And the problem with moving the rolling cabinets is one I have wondered about

1 Like

[quote=“John_Marlow, post:5, topic:34070, full:true”]

Good point. I’m kinda planning on attending the next CA meeting to see if we can do a smidgen of reorganization of the rolling cabinets. Last time I taught it was tricky but possible, and this time there was so much stuff in that corner that it just looked like more work than I was willing to do.

If we’re expanding (and scuttlebutt says it’s very likely), then I personally would be disinclined to do a major reorganization. I’m seriously allergic to unnecessary work, myself.

1 Like

I chatted with @Kriskat30 about the class and all last night, and she’s planning to go over the boxes and bring them back up to snuff. Not only are they mixed up, some things have completely gone walk-about. Plus, she’s going to look at the consumables.

3 Likes

It is important for CA to note on their expansion form that they roll their equipment into conference rooms to teach (just in case we forget that). So being near a conference room is important to CA (unlike the shops like machine, wood. etc. where they just do a presentation in the conference rooms and then adjourn to the shop).

3 Likes