Panel Saw? (blah 15 char)

Saw this on FB Marketplace this morning and thought someone here or maybe even the committee would be interested.

2 Likes

I hope (and think that) there are plans for something like this in new expansion layout.

@Team_Woodshop

1 Like

There was discussion about adding a panel saw post-expansion at the last committee meeting.

I sent a message. It’s too good a price not to look at now, especially since we’re splitting the price with laser. :wink:

Not to be Mr. Negative but I feel I should point out some known issues with those particular saws.

They do not hold square well, and in a lot of cases never start out that way.
They have a large footprint due to being on a mobile base and angle (but do fold up for storage).
The saw’s riving knife is ~1/8" thick which means replacement blades are harder to find or the riving knife will need to be thinned out.

It does look like it comes with the extension for the bottom which is nice.

Things I would check are if it has the upper extension brackets (upper extension is either a 2x4 or aluminum square tube that fit into the bracket), the riving knife thickness, and if it cuts square.

They’re about $1000 new, with a one-year warranty. Not saying one way or another, just was curious.

Meant to add, for $500 the “core” is worth it and we can always make a new body for it.

1 Like

I know people would love things to be perfectly on square and accurate 100% of the time, but I would tend to think a panel saw would be used here almost exclusively to break down sheet goods to a more manageable size for the table saw, not for final dimension cuts.

5 Likes

Then use a circular saw and go wild. If your going to spend the money on a tool that is meant to cut square it should cut square IMO.

1 Like

Is a panel saw supposed to cut square? Clearly it shouldn’t cut at a 30 degree angle or anything but I’ve never understood them to be precision tools by any means.

It should cut square enough to build a reasonable doghouse. It should not be expected to cut square enough to build furniture.

No worries. We’re not going to get it. We will look at other options when we have more time and space. Thanks for the info!

1 Like