Painting the DMS Blue Screen Timelapse

20 Likes

This is my favorite.

1 Like

Fun video, but blue is the incorrect choice. Green is superior for keying.

Opinions appear to differ (historical amusement warning):

I’ve no dog in the fight but I have always wondered why it’s blue when it seems everyone else uses green.

The way I understand how it went when they moved in…

“Cool we are going to have an AV room, lets do a green screen.”
“But it might be a conference room as well and green is annoying… it hurts my eyes.”
sigh … okay how about Blue?”
“Sounds Good”

I do know that Adnan @thespacemaker has told me that they are doing a Green Screen somewhere in the space. It might be in one of the new classrooms where CA is currently.

2 Likes

I had donated a green screen background and they decided to paint the wall blue so we would have both options available.

6 Likes

Just as a point of order for anyone who is thinking of doing any Chromakey work:

1. Video/Digital cameras have vastly superior resolution in the Green channel, usually a 4:1 ratio vs green or blue individually. (See the link below)

2. Green is a vastly less popular color of clothing over Blue.

Aesthetics of the room are debatable, but those two things are pretty irrefutable.

1 Like

Was this grid engineered this way because the peak of photopic sensitivity is 555nm (thus yielding a higher perceived brightness)?

This is a pretty good video on green/blue screen.

2 Likes

Hit the nail on the head, Draco.

Thanks for bringing us back! That can of blue is around here somewhere…

1 Like

@Spoonanator you beat me to the punch! I was about to post that same vid, haha. Captain D’s so underrated.

1 Like

Also (sorry for so many posts) here’s the non-gif version for all you mobile users

https://youtu.be/jUjEuygIem0

We really do need independent lighting at the correct color temperature. It would be nice to be able to flip a switch and have it lit and then you use the other lights for your subject.

1 Like

Arguably the best VFX explanations on youtube.

1 Like

I’m assuming that this is circa 2014 when DMS first moved into Monetary?