Oxy Acetylene vs Oxy Propane

Are we going to be able to store some wheel-cart tanks in the blacksmith outside storage?

Throwing out as thought. Now that we have outside storage for combustible gases, should we consider the possibility of have an Oxy-Acetylene set-up? Big capability advantage I see with O-A is the ability to do brazing. Small propane torches just don’t have the heat. Brazing is very handy in working with sheet metal.

3 Likes

My preference is no Oxy-Acetyl, but to do Oxy-Propane. It has more BTUs of heat output, is cheaper, and we don’t have to train people about the gotchas of Acetyl. Only downside is the top temperature you can reach is slightly lower, but that shouldn’t matter for cutting or brazing on almost anything.

3 Likes

Good summary of differences, advantages and disadvantages of each… Both can braze but propane can’t weld. Propane uses consumes 4X oxygen so on a cost basis can be a push. Propane would have to go with large bottles of O2 since it consumes much more making smaller bottles impractical and more expensive.

But either would be nice to have, each has advantages the other doesn’t. If for just brazing, Propane-Oxy has advanatge IMO more “heat” pumped in even though at lower temperature.

I personally don’t have any issues using oxy-acetylene. The problem is those who don’t know how to use it & the dangers of using it.

Some of the dangers are:
*Not using more than 1/7th the volume in an hour.
*Not laying on it side, if laid on it side to let it set for an hour before using.
*Not exceeding the 15psi on the regulator

3 Likes

This makes bigger tanks safer to use, small tanks are easy to exceed 1/7th volume.

1 Like

How does one measure volume on a tank like this? We ONLY use weight for chlorine tanks.

Also, much more important to ensure that the tank is opened slowly, to prevent surge pressure between the tank and regulator or in the regulator passages.

Also more important to ensure flashback suppressors are in good shape and present at all times.

That’s correct. Acetylene you don’t open all they way. Oxygen, Nitrogen, CO2, Argon and mixed gasses the valve should be fully open. The regulator should be backed off and the person opening should be opposite of the regulator side when opening. I had a good friend of mine blow a hole in his leg because he didn’t do that.

Oxygen regulator needs to be oil free on the regulator, hoses and fittings.

1 Like

Not sure how to estimate. We always had big tanks and when the pressure was low they were replaced. But we, students, weren’t running a lot of gas for very long so was never an issue. Acetylene tanks aren’t empty. Go to 6:20 and you’ll see what is inside. They have acetone in there that the acetylene dissolves into and everything is in a porous mix that fills the tank - acetone has been removed from this tank.

More importantly, how do you not know how much a previous person may have used the tank.

1 Like

All of these things, to me, are reasons to use an alternative to OA.

1 Like

And that’s why I don’t think it’s a right fit for us.
I personally have an oxy acetylene rig, 40cf oxy & a B tank. It great to have but I think for MS purpose oxy propane is more in line.

@Team_Moderators if it wouldn’t be too much trouble can we please split this thread off?

1 Like

I’d be glad to, but you need to please clarify which part of the discussion should be split … the second topic, for instance and a suggested title for that thread.

2 Likes

I’d like to split it off starting with Draco’s first post. Tittle Id say Oxy Acetylene vs Oxy Propane

3 Likes