New to Makerspace. Have a couple projects wanna work on & need some guidance

just wanna intriduce myself first, my names Chris and I plan on being at the open house tomorrow night, so hopefully ill meet a few people there. ive got a couple projects im working on but not only do i need some help with them but i just need a little help figuring out this whole makerspace idea and whats kosher, whats not, whats expected, and just how to go about things.

my undergrad degree was in mech engr but that was over 10 years ago and even after graduating i did oil and gas work, nothing to do with designing. Im prototyping a mainly carbon fiber golf bag (and later on a travel case for it). most of the CF pieces i can order for pretty cheap, so for time and cost im probably just going to buy those. Ive CAD’ed up most of it in fusion 360, at least the basics of it. ive got to keep it pretty simple to keep the price/cost manageable and to keep with the minimalist theme.

the part thats going to give me the most trouble is the carrying strap for it. ive got to create a phone and wallet sleeve on it alone with some padding for your shoulder. the most difficult is going to be a the mesh/elastic sleeve for the golf balls that is going to be on the strap.

well i digress, im really just focusing on the “bag” and carbon fiber portion. i was told theres some vaccum equipment for making carbon fiber bits. how would i go about talking to someone about learning how to use that?

so if ive already broken any unwritten rules, i apologize and i pre-apologize for any of those transgressions in the future. but i look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow night

1 Like

@ChrisPattison You can probably best answer his inquiry,

You want @Chris_Wischkowsky

cool, thanks. so i just click on his name with the @ symbol and it will message him, im guessing?

Thank you … I hope I’ve not insulted either of you with the confusions! :grin:

my names chris as well. i always end up going by “Freeman” cause there always at least one more “Chris” in any group. ha

I know both of these guys … they look the same (meaning they’re a lot younger and smarter than me!)

am i allowed to message people as a new member? im not the most forum savvy, especially this format

Have you seen this post?

It might help answer some questions for you, if you haven’t.
And welcome.

EDIT: to be less of a dick about it, yes, new users CAN PM. It’s under the explanation of trust levels, level 0 (New), first bullet point.

hadnt seen that…ill make sure im excellent to everyone, and ill try not to set anyone on fire, but im not making any promises

1 Like