New Talk Forum Software

The forum software we use on Talk is called Discourse.
ttps://www.discourse.org/

What are some features you would like to see in a new forum?

Here are some of mine

• The ability to hide a thread
  • The ability to block a user
  • The ability to delete your own post
  • Threaded comments
  • Ability to create separate areas to talk and choose which ones you want to see
  • To be able to see more than just a one-liner in the list, I want a feed
  • A great theme that represents each area instead of just black and white
2 Likes

Exists - MUTE ā€¦

3 Likes

The ability to block a user.

4 Likes

I am disinterested in this feature unless it can be globally toggled off by the user; I find that users are not sufficiently consistent on how they respond to make the structure worthwhile to me.

6 Likes

What do you mean ā€œblock usersā€? Staff action, or individual action?

Administratively a user can be blocked so they canā€™t ever post. We have done this in the past.

Discourse supports a feature where you can mute individuals so they canā€™t PM you. We used to have that but strangely enough, I canā€™t seem to find it. It should be visible at the bottom of your user preferences, and itā€™s called Users Muted.

1 Like

I routinely Mute threads I have no interest in, but see nothing for users. But then Iā€™m blind.

1 Like

In the meantime, is there any plan to update our Discourse software?

I see that weā€™re running version 1.9.0.beta5+144 and the latest version is 2.1.0.beta3 ā€¦

I mean individuals can choose not to see or be seen by another user.

2 Likes

Ah. I understand.

For an interesting perspective, go to the Discourse wiki and read why they chose to not implement that function.

@John_Marlow ā€¦ I am leaving Talk for a long while .

You can find me on Facebook or I will be up at the space regularly several times a week
I am also on Discord

1 Like

Fortunately it seems like most of the absolutely toxic people have left one way or the other. However, as we seem to be adding thousands (/s) of new members a day we are sure to get some more in the future.

1 Like

I participate in many forums across a broad range of topics and theyā€™re hosted on many different platforms. Of all the forum platforms Iā€™ve used Discourse is by far the best option. Nothing else even comes close in terms of usability and features. I wish everything else was using Discourse. It really is that much better.

9 Likes

I agree. Discourse is by far my favorite of all that Iā€™ve used and wouldnā€™t want to change.

The mute option in Discourse is only for notifications though. Youā€™ll still see the userā€™s posts in the forum. Find it in Preferences/Notifications section.

You can also hide/mute an entire category that you have no interest in. (like one of the committees)

I canā€™t find a way to hide a thread though.

The best way to police those who arenā€™t being excellent is to flag the post or the entire topic. Flagged posts and topics are hidden if they receive a few flags, and admins can see who is receiving flags. Admins can ā€œsilenceā€ someone from posting for a number of days if needed.

5 Likes

I use MUTE to get rid of threads I donā€™t want to read - they no longer show up in the list of topics, not notified that there has be a new post. Not sure if we are using different terms for the same thing or not.

1 Like

It sure would be nice to be able to edit the OP of an old thread (like this one [Project Log] Python on the 6502/C64, 8080, 6800, 6809 and AVR) to add or update a link.

ā€“ OR ā€“

2 Likes

FINALLY found it! I clicked every icon on the screen until I finally found where this jewel was hidden!
The blue-dot button on the right sideā€¦ how did I miss that? Or the ā€œNormalā€ button at the end of the thread opens a menu for muting.

1 Like