New Micro Center Department

Just got this in an email and I am passing it along.

https://www.microcenter.com/site/content/retro-gaming.aspx?utm_source=20181226_eNews_Bestsellers_R5146&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=R5146&MccGuid=2383d778-1918-4dcd-912a-2d8188be81f4

1 Like

Walmart was selling a similar cabinet kit for $299. This was before Christmas and may be a seasonal thing. They did not appear to be selling well so may soon be on clearance.

Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Deluxe-Edition-12-in-1-Arcade-System-with-Riser-Arcade1Up-Atari-Graphics-815221025172/827734225

I think those are the prebuilt and installed ‘mini’ game systems.

This would be a new place to get your hardware for building / refurbishing a cabinet (Joysticks, buttons, etc.)

Thanks,

Woody

I’m pretty sure it is what he was talking about.

It is cool that Micro Center has finally stepped up to provide arcade parts for the retro arcade emulator crowd. I have not checked out the quality of the parts or cabinets yet in person but it is a good way to quickly put one together for a DIY arcade project.

Terry who owns Tornado Terry’s Family Amusement Center on Keller Hicks Rd in Keller also sells genuine HAPP brand arcade buttons, joysticks, wiring harnesses, power supplies, and other needed hardware for DIY arcade building or refurb. If you ever talk to Terry tell him you are with Dallas Makerspace and I referred you. Might save you a little bit on the cost. Also you can pick up from Terry and save shipping costs. Terry knows a ton of technical stuff about arcades and has been an operator for 30+ years and can point you in the right direction on parts or questions regarding original dedicated arcade games.
www.TornadoTerrys.com

The mini-arcade cabinets that Walmart and others are selling are really basic and not expandable and for most people way too short to be comfortable to play. A Raspberry Pi “RetroPi” setup is a much better option.

If anyone would like to know more about how to wire up arcade control panels or have questions regarding a RetroPi setup please let me or Jayson know and we will try to help.

1 Like

The upright cabinet MC is selling is expensive - just under $1k, but is much better build quality than the cheapo garbage 1up you get from Wal-Mart and other stores.

They come with a widescreen display and they put bezel art on the left and right sides of the screen for the games. Makes them look really good.