New gun owner here

I recently bought my first gun ever and I have never taken it out of the box. I don’t know nothing about firearms. I wonder if someone can recommend me where to go to test it and if I need to take any classes about its safe use. I live in Frisco but I can drive if its far. any advise?

I’d recommend some instructor time at the range finder you don’t have someone knowledgeable to go with you.

As for which one, depends on where you are. I split my time between Elm Fork (Irving) and Eagle (Farmer’s Branch) when I don’t go out to a private spot.

3 Likes

Great to hear you purchased a firearm! I would be happy to show you the safety basics and help you get started. Send me a message and we can work out the details.

1 Like

Great to hear to are taking firearm safety with the seriousness it deserves. As to instructors, I’ll let others give that advice, but learn to do it safely an fire accurately and you’ll find sport shooting a fun sport. If for self-defense, you’ll have confidence and skill.

3 Likes

thanks for the reply… I will contact you after this next two weeks, I have family visiting over and my schedule is on their hands. thakns again!

You bet! Enjoy your family time!

1 Like

Find a range close to you that makes it easy to go practice at. Take an intro to gun safety class and find a certified firearms instructor. Everyone who owns a gun will try to tell you they know best which can be misleading for a new shooter. Not saying everyone is wrong or even that an instructor is always right but I have seen a lot of misguided information out there. An instructor has the benefit of sticking to a core curriculum and posted reviews of the classes they teach.

What type of gun did you get?

http://www.friscogunclub.com/classes/ is in your area. I will second Eagle Range but not Elm Fork…no iron sights or .22 on their 100y rifle range :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Congrats on the purchase,

I can also meet you at a range or DMS and help you learn the basics and safety around your gun. Also, please do not be afraid to go to many of the ranges in our area as a first timer. The vast majority of ranges are willing to do a hands on introduction to a firearm, often at no cost. Just ask, I know we all want to walk in looking like an expert. But, more times than not just being energetic in wanting to learn will open up many more opportunities.

I’m personally a fan of Eagle Gun Range, they have 2 location in DFW. Their staff has always been very friendly and they tend to not talk in the blunt terms you get with Ex-Military Instructors.

PS, Post us a picture of the new gun.

Here is a pick of one of my favorite pistols,

4 Likes

I got the crapiest cheapiest thing I could get… Hi point c9 9mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Vrc2R1oGU Hi-point pistols and carbines have proven themselves to be solid bang for the buck.

3 Likes

You would be surprised! While lots of people don’t like highpoint because of their furniture, they have done well on reliability and accuracy tests! They may not be pretty but they do go bang on target!!

4 Likes

I’ll be the first to tell you I’m no expert. I do have some range master experience and have taught a few classes. I agree that many will teach you what they consider to be gospel. I prefer to present what I have found to be common safety practice and techniques that work for me. At the end of the day, self education and understanding are the hallmarks. You have done the hardest step, you asked for help! Kudos!

3 Likes

Yeah,
Don’t play into the hype, High Points are often the cheapest on the market, but they do not tend to be the crappiest. Just not as flashy or exclusive as other brands.

3 Likes

Another vote for Eagle Gun Range, the one in Addison was excellent.

4 Likes

I too am a fan of Eagle Gun Range, it is where I would take anyone! Clean, well lit, properly ventilated and SAFE!

3 Likes

You get what you pay for. More expensive pistols are more expensive for good reason (lighter, higher capacity, better materials, better designs) but I’d rather have an inexpensive pistol than no pistol.

2 Likes

You left out some of the categories that you pay for. While lighter, higher capacity, better materials and better designs may be things you may be paying for. You might also just be paying for a Brand Name, more marketing, higher prices for more exclusivity of who can buy the gun, special colors that have no effect on the performance, ect.

The phrase you get what you pay for is not analogous to paying for quality. Thus, it shouldn’t be used to infer what you are saying @lukeiamyourfather. You really only ever get what you are paying for, when you know what you are paying for.

3 Likes

The advice I give to gun virgins is to take the safety class first.

In addition to safety, you will find out whether you even want to own a gun. Then whether a pistol is appropriate or a revolver for its simplicity. Finally, many courses include limited range time so that you can get a rough idea what calibers you may be comfortable shooting. Some beginners fall for “bigger is better” and end up buying something they hate. Like a car purchase, try before you buy.

1 Like

I agree. What you said before doesn’t have the same effect.

1 Like

With today’s legal climate any gun you can buy at a retail store, not out of the trunk of a car, is going to be safe to shoot. By safe to shoot I mean not a danger of blowing up. With today’s manufacturing any gun will be as accurate as most beginners are capable of.

I think you will be satisfied with your Hi-point’s basic performance. It is a lot like a kitchen knife, cheap ones will work fine for everyday purposes. The more you use a knife the more styles and qualities you find that you “need”.

Russell

8 Likes